Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Beatles Session 1, Friday 9th November 9pm (Read 38,749 times)

madzilla
Stellar DJ

Beatles Session 1, Friday 9th November 9pm
4th Nov, 2007 at 8:34pm

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce the first in a series of hour-long sessions featuring the music of The Beatles will air this coming Friday, 9th November. Smiley

Why The Beatles? Well, who better to feature here at SA than one of the most progressive bands of all time? It goes without saying that the Beatles are one of the most important and influential bands in the history of rock and pop music. The songs written for the group by Lennon and McCartney started the trend of bands and performers writing their own music rather than getting it from external songwriters. Another notable feature of the Beatles' career is the huge range of external styles and influences they assimilated into their own.

As part of the development of prog, The Beatles are often referred to as 'proto-prog', part of a group of bands around before 1969 who contributed to the development of the prog scene. It is often said that it was the Beatles who inspired Bob Dylan in 1964/5 to use electric instruments, and in doing so brought about the fusion of folk and rock that would lead to the development of psychedelia, which in turn contributed to the development of early prog. Of course, many other factors and influences led to the rise of prog, but the importance of the Beatles' music should not be overlooked.

The Beatles’ influence is still apparent in much modern rock and pop music, and you only have to hear some of the earliest recordings by progressive rock artists of the 1970s and later to realise how prevalent their influence was; for example, Yes’ first album contains covers of Beatles songs and Geoff Mann/Twelfth Night recorded their own version of “Eleanor Rigby” as a single.

During these sessions, I'll be including some rarer tracks and lesser-heard songs by the group, but plenty of the hits as well, particularly from the group's later period, 1966-1970. There are also quite a few solo hits included, particularly from the post-Beatles career of Paul McCartney. While he's widely remembered for the Frog Chorus and his 'Silly Love Songs', he also has a much less well-known number of side projects including ambient and techno albums as well as avant-garde experiments, some of which will be included in these sessions, along with some of his better-known work.

The dates and times of the first session are:

Friday 9th November, 9PM (GMT)

Sunday 11th November, 6PM (GMT)

Wednesday 14th November, 2AM (GMT)

Thursday 15th November, 11AM (GMT)

I'll be posting some info in this thread about the individual tracks in the session when it airs on Friday, hope you all enjoy it.

Cool

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Re: Beatles Session 1, Friday 9th November 9pm
Reply #1 - 4th Nov, 2007 at 9:00pm

Wow!!!

This is superb news! Welcome to our new DJ - Madzilla - and with the Beatles also!! Cool

I will be looking forward to these sessions very much and thank you in advance for this!

Do you have any more information about what songs are going to be played Madzilla............?? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #2 - 4th Nov, 2007 at 9:48pm

Ok.Sorry I just read that you will be posting about the music on Friday!

Thank you once more Madzilla.I will be listening!

Cool

IP Logged

fish_head
Sound Chaser

Reply #3 - 5th Nov, 2007 at 7:08pm

Great idea for a session!!!!!!!!

I'll be listening. Smiley Cool Cool

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #4 - 6th Nov, 2007 at 7:26pm

The very warmest of welcomes to our new 'Stellar DJ'.

Many, many thanks in advance for a fantastic series of sessions ... Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #5 - 6th Nov, 2007 at 8:35pm

Great Idea DJ - Madzilla !

I'll definately be listening!

Cheers and
Goo Goo G'Joob'

-Hm Smiley

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 8th Nov, 2007 at 8:07pm

As usual, please use this handy link to convert GMT into your own, local time-zone.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Lithium
Legacy Stellar DJ

Rocklicious!!

Reply #7 - 8th Nov, 2007 at 10:16pm

Yay!  Go Madz go! Cool

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #8 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 8:16pm

Not long to go now people ... Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

madzilla
Stellar DJ

Reply #9 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:01pm

Hi everyone, thanks for all the warm welcomes. Cheesy

So off we go with the first Beatles session, and I've cobbled together a few facts about the tracks featured in it - if anyone wants any more info on anything played, ask away and if I don't know, I'm sure I can find out. Smiley

After we meet the band, the first three songs are classic tracks given a new twist - the opening tracks of Love, the soundtrack to the multi-million dollar Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas. The soundtrack is all original Beatles recordings, but remixed and 'mashed up' to create new versions of old songs - or in some cases, polish up the originals.

The first track, Because was originally on Abbey Road and features a beautiful three-part harmony by John, Paul and George - the version here has had the instruments stripped off to leave just the voices. The second track, Get Back, opens with the clashing chord from A Hard Day's Night, and also includes the the drum and guitar solos from The End. This track segues into Glass Onion from the While Album, which contains references to many other Beatles songs - this short version refers, for example, to 'fixing a hole in the ocean', a reference to Fixing A Hole from Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - other songs referenced in the original track include Strawberry Fields Forever, The Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus and Lady Madonna.

After this are a couple of very different solo McCartney tracks form 1971 and 1980 respectively, Ram On and Temporary Secretary, then it's back to the Beatles for two examples (Old Brown Shoe and Rain) of why Paul is often hailed as one of the most influential rock bassists ever.

"Paul was one of the most innovative bass players ever. And half the stuff that is going on now is directly ripped off from his Beatles period."
- John Lennon

"Paul is the greatest bass player in the world."
- Ringo Starr

"Paul's bass guitar playing is of course the most melodic ever. He set a standard no one has ever reached."
- George Martin

To be continued shortly...

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #10 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:09pm

The server is full! Sad

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #11 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:10pm

Thanks for the excellent post Madzilla - great stuff !!

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #12 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:12pm

Ok.Now listening!Very busy session Madzilla! Cool

IP Logged

madzilla
Stellar DJ

Reply #13 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:17pm

After this we shoot forwards in time to this year, and one of the more unusual tracks from McCartney's newest album, Memory Almost Full. This track, Mr Bellamy, would not be out of place on one of the later Beatles albums, (especially Sgt Pepper), and is also reminiscent of Paul's track Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey from his 1971 album Ram.

The Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping leads into the moody Lalula, which is a remix featuring parts of two McCartney songs, Oh Woman Oh Why and the main riff of Old Siam Sir, featuring on the Macca remix album Twin Freaks.

The next Beatles track, Free As A Bird, is one of two tracks that feature a posthumous 'performance' by John Lennon. This track, along with another called Real Love (to be played in a later session), was recorded during the Beatles Anthology project in the mid Nineties - Yoko Ono gave some of John's unfinished demos to Paul, George and Ringo to 'finish off', as they had agreed that they would never put anything out as 'The Beatles' unless all four of them appeared on it in one form or another. The songs were produced by Jeff Lynne, and recorded at Paul's studio at home.

"We just pretended that John had gone on holiday or out for tea and had left us the tape to play with. That was the only way we could deal with it, and get over the hurdle, because it was really very emotional."
- Ringo Starr

"The best thing about it all was to work with John again. Hearing him in the headphones, it was like he was in the next room -- 'f**k, I'm singing harmony with John.' It's like an impossible dream."
- Paul McCartney

To be continued shortly...

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #14 - 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:22pm

huntr_22 wrote on 9th Nov, 2007 at 9:12pm:
Ok.Now listening!Very busy session Madzilla! Cool

Pleased to hear it huntr_22 !!

Always best to secure a slot early for sessions, however, Madzilla's has been extraordinarily popular thus far ... The main broadband server has been hitting full capacity on and off throughout. Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2