HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
24hr Session Ideas (Read 52,038 times)

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Re: 24hr Session Ideas
Reply #45 - 20th Sep, 2005 at 1:26am

Hmm.. I'd actually be interested in seeing a list of any songs with sitar in the prog genre. (can't thing of one myself)

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #46 - 20th Sep, 2005 at 1:42am

Quote:
Hmm.. I'd actually be interested in seeing a list of any songs with sitar in the prog genre. (can't thing of one myself)

'tis tricky btn.

I can only think of groups pre-1970 using a sitar. It was used by the Pretty Things on the classic 'S.F.Sorrow' album and The Moody Blues used it on a couple of albums released around the same time. Steve Howe uses what sounds like a sitar on both 'To Be Over' (from 'Relayer') and on a couple of tracks from his 'Beginnings' album. However, I forget the name of the instrument used but it isn't a sitar ...

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Reply #47 - 20th Sep, 2005 at 4:03am

Dee - I was just going to correct myself - there's a track on the Cluster/Eno disc with Sitar called - One.  But there aren't many more I could think of (apart from the Beatles or Stones).  There is an instrumental group from the Netherlands called Flairk that use the Sitar - not exactly Prog, but very close - all other groups I know would fall into the jazz rhelm (Oregon, Shankar, Jan Garbarek).
Love the sound of it (in small doses!) though! Wink

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Reply #48 - 22nd Sep, 2005 at 9:53am

Wow...I just remembered I Know What I Like from Selling England By the Pound  by Genesis. Very prominent Sitar (played by Mike Rutherford I believe)  Smiley

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #49 - 23rd Sep, 2005 at 2:11am

Quote:
Wow...I just remembered I Know What I Like from Selling England By the Pound  by Genesis. Very prominent Sitar (played by Mike Rutherford I believe)  Smiley

Hmmm ... I know it sounds like a sitar but I'm not entirely convinced it is a sitar being played on 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)'. I have a funny feeling it's the same instrument that Steve Howe uses from time to time (a 'guitar harp' ??). I'll investigate and come back to everyone on this. Roll Eyes

In the meantime, how about this titbit regarding 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)' ...

"This was written for a Genesis' roadie from 1971-1973. His name was Jacob Finster, and he could never hold jobs - he was a lawn mower, a pawn store clerk and a cashier. By the time he died, he worked in a doughnut shop where he overdosed on heroin. This song struck a chord with adolescents struggling with their future and living in the middle of doubt."

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #50 - 23rd Sep, 2005 at 2:13am

An 'Electric Sitar' apparently ...

http://www.genesis-music.com/selling1.htm

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Reply #51 - 4th Oct, 2005 at 1:31am

Speaking of I Know What I Like - have you heard the Platinum Collecton remasters of the Gabriel era Genesis - incredible sound - strikingly superior to the previous remasters!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4