HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
24hr Session Ideas (Read 52,050 times)

BCofOZ
Life Seeker

Emerald City Kansas
Re: 24hr Session Ideas
Reply #15 - 20th Mar, 2005 at 12:06pm

Dang btn!--Good evening first off!--A pleasure!
This branching that you speak of JT!--Haven't heard any of that!!
Barre and Barlow have always been my favourites, why JT is SO great not to not mention Mr. Hammond, OH!!,  and Ian too!!!.--Would love to hear some of that branch!!!!!----Got to hear it now!!

JT has been there for my whole long ride!!!-Such as YES!!

JT would kick arse!
DC.---A Great PF show today!!!.-WAY great!--Thanx!!!

Like the Deep Purple stuff too!!---BTW!!!!

BCofOZ(Brent)  
IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #16 - 21st Mar, 2005 at 12:42am

Good Morning to yourself BC & ditto: Guess I'm showing my age a bit...when I was a little tyke my older brother bought me Aqualung — at first I thought it was dumb (I was only 14) but soon - after a few dozen listens - it was all over - I was hooked! Oh, thought of another - If you like Barlow - he plays on a very good solo album by Kerry Livgren (from your neck of th woods) - Seeds of Change!

see ya  8)
-btn

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

Yesman90125
Stellar Newbie

milwaukee
Reply #17 - 31st Mar, 2005 at 3:52am

Id cast my vote for a Tull session

IP Logged

Yesman90125
Stellar Newbie

milwaukee
Reply #18 - 31st Mar, 2005 at 3:58am

Quote:
If you like Barlow - he plays on a very good solo album by Kerry Livgren - Seeds of Change!

-btn

the seeds of change thing is getting alot of attention in "My neck of the woods"

and was reccomended to me by my favorite progressive rock store

Dan@

Rush-Mor Ltd.
2635 So. Kinnickinnic Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53207

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Reply #19 - 31st Mar, 2005 at 1:02pm

Dee thank you so much for 'A Passion Play' - haven't heard that in ...oh....30 years(!)   It was always my least favorite tull album back then.  I remember hearing it for the first time trying very hard to like it (I thoroughly enjoyed Thick as a Brick, but was taken aback at another Full length piece following it)  As I remember, the press was equally unimpressed (hence the track "Only Solitare" on the War Child album - which was Ian Anderson's answer to the critics).  
Sounds so different now with newer (older) ears.  Yet I remember the parts I enjoyed - great guitar by martin & the addition of sopranino sax by Ian.  I remember the synth parts as sounding cheap & uninspired as if thrown in just to get a synth on the album rather than for the piece's benefit. (a theory of mine that although synthesizers were becoming more popular - some groups were more succesful in using them in an organic way e.g. Genesis or Gentle Giant)  Anyway, I remember thinking that Tull was kind of straining to find a comfortable way of integrating the synth into their sound - I really don't think they ever did.
Ahh...Mother Goose is starting...now thats more like it!

Thanks for listening Wink
-btn

IP Logged

LonMelJr
Stellar Newbie

Reply #20 - 31st Mar, 2005 at 1:37pm

Out of curiosity, what would people think of a BBC recordings marathon?  Is that too broad?

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Reply #21 - 1st Apr, 2005 at 4:49am

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would people think of a BBC recordings marathon?  Is that too broad?

Or maybe to include rare tracks, b-sides and bootlegs? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #22 - 1st Apr, 2005 at 7:30am

Quote:
Dee thank you so much for 'A Passion Play' - haven't heard that in ...oh....30 years(!)   It was always my least favorite tull album back then.  I remember hearing it for the first time trying very hard to like it (I thoroughly enjoyed Thick as a Brick, but was taken aback at another Full length piece following it)  As I remember, the press was equally unimpressed (hence the track "Only Solitare" on the War Child album - which was Ian Anderson's answer to the critics).  
Sounds so different now with newer (older) ears.  Yet I remember the parts I enjoyed - great guitar by martin & the addition of sopranino sax by Ian.  I remember the synth parts as sounding cheap & uninspired as if thrown in just to get a synth on the album rather than for the piece's benefit. (a theory of mine that although synthesizers were becoming more popular - some groups were more succesful in using them in an organic way e.g. Genesis or Gentle Giant)  Anyway, I remember thinking that Tull was kind of straining to find a comfortable way of integrating the synth into their sound - I really don't think they ever did.
Ahh...Mother Goose is starting...now thats more like it!

Thanks for listening Wink
-btn

Glad you enjoyed 'A Passion Play' btn  Grin

I couldn't have summed-up 'Jethro Tull's' keyboard use better.  8)

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #23 - 1st Apr, 2005 at 7:34am

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would people think of a BBC recordings marathon?  Is that too broad?

Quote:
Or maybe to include rare tracks, b-sides and bootlegs? Roll Eyes

Very, very interesting ideas ... I've heard (some) reports that these 'Marathons' should consist of more 'rare' recordings ...  Roll Eyes

Personally, I'm 'all Sessioned-out' out the moment but I am paying close attention to the ideas - keep them coming !!  Grin

Dee

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Janey
Starship Trooper

Reply #24 - 13th May, 2005 at 6:59am

I've missed all of the previous sessions you guys have had.  Cry how often do you have them and when is the next one?

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #25 - 16th Jun, 2005 at 4:10am

So who's next for the 24hr treatment?

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #26 - 16th Jun, 2005 at 5:20am

It light of recent developments, 'Roger Waters' is up for 24 hour treatment soon. Grin

'Camel' has been a popular request and once a few more CDs of theirs arrive, that will be on the cards.

Have a few more ideas floating around at the moment too ... 8)

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #27 - 16th Jun, 2005 at 5:20am

'21st Century Session' deserves a re-run as well. 8)

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #28 - 16th Jun, 2005 at 6:36am

roger waters would be a good choice. 8)

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #29 - 16th Jun, 2005 at 9:06pm

Quote:
'21st Century Session' deserves a re-run as well. 8)

I definitely think this deserves another chance. I think it needs to include as many older bands that have newer material (Yes, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Marillion) as possible to balance out the newer bands that may have put people off last time. Maybe ensure that we don't go say more than an hour without a Yes track being played for example. Is it only Magnification that would qualify?

This is what I said in a previous post regarding this:
Focus on new music released since 2000 for example. The '21st Century Session'. This would still include bands like Yes and King Crimson who are still going strong but also feature newer bands like Mars Volta, Pocupine Tree, IQ, Spocks Beard, Pineapple Thief, Radiohead, Dream Theatre, Riverside et al. Thus illustrating what a healthy scene Progressive Rock still is.

It's all about getting a good balance between old school prog and the different directions that newer bands are taking progressive music in.

I think I've started rambling now. Hope this makes some sort of sense.

And if anyone wants another Marillion session just say the word. Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4