Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Starcastle vintage and recent (Read 38,126 times)

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

turn on, tune in, comment
profusely

Falls Church VA
Starcastle vintage and recent
18th Aug, 2008 at 11:16pm

Just back in June I was *floored* hearing, for the first time as far as I know, "Lady of the Lake" from Starcastle's eponymous debut and "Fountains" from their second album FOUNTAINS OF LIGHT here on SA. I'd certainly heard of Starcastle before, but had no idea how good they really were or how much their music would appeal to my own tastes.

Only two and a half months have elapsed since that first exposure to Starcastle's music and by now I have the entire Starcastle CD catalogue in hand here! Well, almost all of it--one piece, REAL TO REEL, isn't easily available and is almost unanimously not recommended in discussions and reviews. I've even got CHRONOS 1, the out-takes, working tapes, and demos collection released in 2001. The expansive, positive spirit behind the music and the love and care reflected in often delicate craftsmanship and distinctive, intricate arrangements have obviously captured my attention and enthusiasm.

Right now I'm listening to SONG OF TIMES, which I received about a week ago, and which was released just last year, almost 29 years after the next-most-recent studio piece (the aforementioned REAL TO REEL). I'm so thrilled and relieved that this is a completely worthy reunion effort, unlike so many disappointing comeback efforts. It features all the original members plus several other excellent musicians, most notably Al Lewis, formerly of Alaska, singing lead on most tracks. I'm finding the disc rich, powerful, and rewarding, with a denser, often heavier sound than the original classics, while retaining their uplifting spirit and certain stylistic signatures.

The ALIVE IN AMERICA Concert Classics live set (from 1978) is such a strong set of performances that I imagine this band must have been something to see in their heyday. I'd love to see here in this thread reflections and reminiscences from those who saw the band back in the 70s, as well as any who've seen either or both of the relatively recent ROSFest performances. I'd also love to see any other comments, information, anecdotes, or opinions--positive, negative, or mixed--from any and all SA members concerning this band and their recordings. Thanks!

"It's all about the prog"
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Re: Starcastle vintage and recent
Reply #1 - 18th Aug, 2008 at 11:32pm

Thx for your review Dan!

Did one of Rick Wakeman's sons play with them also?Im sure I have heard this before.

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #2 - 19th Aug, 2008 at 2:49am

huntr_22 wrote on 18th Aug, 2008 at 11:32pm:
Did one of Rick Wakeman's sons play with them also?Im sure I have heard this before.

Yes, I *believe* Oliver Wakeman performed with them at ROSfest. Cool, huh? Very interested to hear from anyone who witnessed those performances. Oliver Wakeman is s not, however, among the personnel on SONG OF TIMES.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #3 - 20th Aug, 2008 at 2:27pm

Well, i'm unfamiliar with this band but from what I heard so far, it's good musicianship but the singer is not my cup of tea. Personally I have a bit of problems with signers like in Dream Theater. If I recall, you could enlighten me on this Dan, the singer in Starcastle is in the DT fashion?

Well, I'll probably have to listen to more to have a real opinion. And to be honest, I'm getting *slowly* but surely used to DT singing on SA...

Max

One Love

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #4 - 21st Aug, 2008 at 12:38am

I have two *Starcastle* CDs now.As usual I heard them first on SA!

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #5 - 21st Aug, 2008 at 4:52am

ino_100 wrote on 20th Aug, 2008 at 2:27pm:
Well, i'm unfamiliar with this band but from what I heard so far, it's good musicianship but the singer is not my cup of tea. Personally I have a bit of problems with signers like in Dream Theater. If I recall, you could enlighten me on this Dan, the singer in Starcastle is in the DT fashion?
Max

Well, Terry Lutrell, the vocalist on everything Starcastle until last year's release Song of Times, is sometimes compared to John Anderson, but he's not quite in that league IMO...he sings high, generally, and usually, but not always, in a somewhat laid-back manner. Very melodic, very pleasant. What's awesome is the harmonies: all six members of the original band sang, producing luscious harmonies with occasional CSN-like perfection and delicacy.

Al Lewis, the lead singer on most of Song of Times, belts it out quite a bit more, and also, at times, could be compared to John Anderson.

I'm not real fond of the vocals on DT either...honestly, I've so far failed to connect with DT in general although the musicianship is of course impressive. Starcastle of course pre-dates DT by quite a period of time, and I wouldn't make much comparison, even in terms of the vocals...Starcastle's not nearly as "heavy" as DT although Song of Times is a bit heavier than the classic 70s Starcastle...

Trivia: Terry Lutrell, prior so Starcastle, was the vocalist on the first REO Speedwagon album! His approach in Starcastle is, probably needless to say, rather different...

Thanks for asking!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #6 - 21st Aug, 2008 at 4:53am

huntr_22 wrote on 21st Aug, 2008 at 12:38am:

Cool!  Which albums are those? How would you compare the vocals on those albums to those of Dream Theater?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #7 - 21st Aug, 2008 at 5:59am

Btw, thanks, guys, for "biting" and joining this thread!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #8 - 21st Aug, 2008 at 11:59pm

Dan Joy wrote on 21st Aug, 2008 at 4:53am:
huntr_22 wrote on 21st Aug, 2008 at 12:38am:

Cool!  Which albums are those? How would you compare the vocals on those albums to those of Dream Theater?

I have *Fountains of light* and *Starcastle*.I am will have to buy some more soon!

I am not sure about this comparision between Dream Theatre.

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #9 - 22nd Aug, 2008 at 1:07am

huntr_22 wrote on 21st Aug, 2008 at 11:59pm:
I have *Fountains of light* and *Starcastle*.I am will have to buy some more soon!

Those are the two to have! Obviously, I'm enjoying Song of Times as well. A somewhat different flavor, but one likely, I'd think, to appeal to fans of Yes & Kansas.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Harper
Stellar Newbie

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - 22nd Aug, 2008 at 6:05am

I think I took several listens at Starcastle and decided they were too...shiny(?) sounding for me. It was as if Yes had been turtle waxed and buffed to a painful level. It almost kind of hurt my ears. I'll perhaps give a few of their other albums a listen or revisit that one, though!

Have you heard Cathedral's "Stained Glass Stories" or Deluge Grander's "August in the Urals?" (Both of which were SA introduced to me!) If you're Yes-friendly, you may like them.  Cathedral especially sounds vaguely Yes inspired but also as though they're solidly off into their own thing.

Harper Harper013  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #11 - 22nd Aug, 2008 at 7:26am

Harper wrote on 22nd Aug, 2008 at 6:05am:
I think I took several listens at Starcastle and decided they were too...shiny(?) sounding for me. It was as if Yes had been turtle waxed and buffed to a painful level. It almost kind of hurt my ears.   

Believe it or not, as much as I'm obviously enjoying these recordings, I think I know *exactly* what you're talking about, and I attribute it to problems in the approach taken to the audio production on the two classic Starcastle records, Starcastle and Fountains of Light. It's like too much chrome trim where chrome isn't needed, or as if the producers were trying to make candy out of subtler flavors. The band always strongly disliked the production of the vocals on Fountains of Light, which is still often considered their definitive record, where the vocals have a very plastic, at times almost robotic sheen or what Starcastle's late bassist Gary Strater called "that emotionless vocal quality." The vocals on Fountains of light are the most egregious example, but I think some similar production indiscretions to a much lesser degree were committed in the making of the debut record (different producer) where the audio glisten also sometimes verges on brittle. I've futzed with my EQ quite a bit to minimize these issues on both records so that I can relax and enjoy the wonderful compositions, performances, and arrangements.

I don't hear these problems on Starcastle's live recordings, demos, or working tapes, nor on Song of Times.

(Extended footnote: Roy Thomas Baker, the same producer responsible for the off-base vocal treatment on Fountains of Light, removed an exquisite and unique track called "Where Caverns Wind" from the album, leaving it, for me at least, with a feeling of being too short and distinctly missing *something*, even before I knew about the omission. The band felt that Baker was a mismatch for them, but the label insisted on keeping Baker with Starcastle for the next album, Citadel, which seems to suffer from label pressure to produce hits for for the stultifyingly mundane late 70s radio market--at which it didn't succeed. To be fair, Baker did great work with many other significant artists, including, for example, producing Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".)

Thanks for your honest input on this thread! And thanks for your suggestions...your description of the Cathedral album really makes it sound appealing, as I am indeed Yes-friendly!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #12 - 22nd Aug, 2008 at 8:40am

huntr_22 wrote on 18th Aug, 2008 at 11:32pm:
Thx for your review Dan!

A follow-up, Lumo--here's the web page where Oliver Wakeman himself tells the story of his work with Starcastle! How cool is that?  Cool

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/starcastle_show.html

starcastle_2.jpg (18 KB | 461 )
starcastle_2.jpg

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #13 - 22nd Aug, 2008 at 7:05pm

But like I said, I don't know much of StarCastle, so I don't have well founded opinion. Sorry, I'll have to listen to SA more often (what a sacrifice)...

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #14 - 24th Aug, 2008 at 4:46am

Anyone else? Starcastle -- love 'em? hate 'em?

Seen 'em live? it would be great to hear from someone who's actually seen them in action!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #15 - 24th Aug, 2008 at 7:58am

Apropos of our discussion here about shortcomings in Starcastle's sound on record, here's a comment I just ran across, made by the lead singer, Terry Luttrell, looking back from 1996:

"And, quite honestly, that band [Starcastle] was never captured well on tape. I don't think there
were any producers who knew how to record that kind of music. We should have had someone from Yes
producing."

http://members.aol.com/reolawyer/Interviews/Luttrell3.html

Would have to agree...where was Eddie Offord when Starcastle needed them! Tends to confirm our thoughts as expressed here...

I don't think the sound on STARCASTLE and FOUNTAINS OF LIGHT is *bad*, by any means, but it's not what it might have been...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jabyes
Stellar Patriot

Reply #16 - 25th Aug, 2008 at 7:22pm

Wanted to add my two cents.I  am actually old enough to have bought the first Starcastle album (yes, old enough to know what an album is as well) when it hit in 1976.

Keep in mind, we were tremendous Yes fans and this was just after Relayer had just came out and the word was it was their last album, Granted, we smoked a lot (too much?) weed back then and the combination of that, as well as the last track on the Relayer album being "To Be Over", made us believe that this was Yes' way of saying goodbye. Like I said lots of weed back then.

And when I think of all the months we spent analyzing Tales and the meanings only to find out later that Jon made the words up as sounds just to be another band instrument..but, that's for another day...

... anyway, Starcastle filled our immediate Yes void back then, thirty-two years ago. Yes, it was polished and shiny and not necessarily adventurous. But it was awesome. A musical comfort zone, if you will. I get teary-eyed when I think back nostalgically to cleaning my reefer on the inside cover of Close to the Edge, whilst listening to Fountains or True to the Light.   Cheesy

Life was a helluva lot simpler back then.

Jeff (from Illinois)

P.S. in case no one has yet to post it, here is a great history of the band...  http://www.starcastlemusic.com/history.html

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #17 - 25th Aug, 2008 at 7:35pm

Thx for the post Jeff!!And for the link also.

Cool

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #18 - 25th Aug, 2008 at 9:54pm

Thanks so much, Jeff! That's exactly the sort of reminiscence and input I was hoping for on this thread.

Allow me to date myself -- I too was old enough to be buying Yes, Crimson, and other progressive rock records by the late 70s. To be specific, I was 15 in 1978 and by that time was into prog. I had my own weekend job and could buy a few records: Nektar, Hawkwind, Focus, Genesis, FM, Sahara, and solo efforts by Robert Fripp and Jon Anderson were also to be found in my small stash of vinyl. But I somehow missed Starcastle entirely (which might have been harder for me to do had I the advantage you may have had in this regard, if you were in Illinois back then as well).

The first time I ever remember hearing of Starcastle was in 1996, when Jimmy Wagner and I became friends in San Francisco. Jimmy had been the keyboardist for a mid-eighties San Francisco-based incarnation of Starcastle, formed around Gary Strater who lived in the Bay Area at that time.

I remember Jimmy talking quite a bit about Starcastle and offering to loan me a cassette of the first Starcastle record (I definitely recall being struck by the castle-on-a-cloud image on its cover). I turned down the offer simply out of fear that I might misplace the only copy that Jimmy had, back in the days before Amazon and eBay made it much easier than it was then to locate or replace out-of-print items.

So, until hearing "Fountains" and "Lady of the Lake" here on SA a few months back, I had no idea what I was missing, and no idea of the quality and importance of what Jimmy had once been a part of. Now I fully understand why, over ten years later, Starcastle and his time as its keyboardist were still such important elements of Jimmy's life! Jimmy and his girlfriend Kismet left San Francisco some months or at most a year after I became friends with them, and I spoke to them only once after that...I hope life has been kind to them, and I hope we all cross paths again someday.

Jimmy, sadly, doesn't appear on any Starcastle albums, although there is some YouTube documentation of the iteration of Starcastle of which he was a part ( see http://www.markmcgee.com/starcastle.html ). And happily, two members from that version of Starcastle, Scott McKenzie and Mark McGee, do appear on three tracks each of the 2007 reunion release, SONG OF TIMES.

Meanwhile, Jeff, from the last few months of listening to Starcastle, I totally relate to your description of their music as a "musical comfort zone." I find their music consistently comforting and uplifting--emotionally powerful, but in a different way from music that is edgy and boundary-pushing.

Btw it is *possible* that I too smoked perhaps a *little bit* of weed back in the late 70s, and it has occurred to me that if I still permitted myself such indulgences, I'd definitely want to combine them with listening to a little Starcastle...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #19 - 26th Aug, 2008 at 2:14am

jabyes wrote on 25th Aug, 2008 at 7:22pm:
...we were tremendous Yes fans and this was just after Relayer had just came out and the word was it was their last album...the last track on the Relayer album being "To Be Over", made us believe that this was Yes' way of saying goodbye.

Jeff, I've been wondering, given that your circle of thoughtful and ardent Yes fans thought that Relayer might be the band's final offering...in that context, and in general, how did you (and your circle for that matter) respond to GOING FOR THE ONE, which featured the return of Rick Wakeman but which nonetheless disappointed some vocal Yes fans, and TORMATO, which was quite widely panned at the time?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jabyes
Stellar Patriot

Reply #20 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 3:07am

Like Gandhi, we were born again!  The solos, especially Fish Out of Water, kept us going, but it was not quite the same. Thus the Starcastle timing for us.

Keep in mind, there was no internet back then, so the gossip trail was
not as open. Maybe a week prior to release, we heard it was happening. Huge excitement for us and the album was not a letdown at all!.

My take is that GFTO is arguably one of Yes' Top 5 albums. And, just as arguably, Awaken could be considered their "truest" Yes song of all time. Jon is on record (pun intended) as saying it is his favorite Yes song of all time and represents everything that a Yes song should be). That being said, I still to this day get chills during the "Four Masters" -- an emotionally exhausting, knee-buckling passage of music within an awesome piece of music. I was at the Chicago '79 show that is off The Word is Live and that Dee plays. Hearing that live and seeing the triple neck bass is something I will remember forever. Branded inside my soul, if you will.

By the way, and off topic, if you have never heard Yes acoustically breaking down Awaken on their XM acoustic set, you are missing something special. Anyone wanting a copy, just PM me. It's truly special. In fact, I burned a copy for a buddy at a 2003 Yes show in Milwaukee and I could never find him, so I gave it to Rick after the show for his ride to Minneapolis. He said, "thanks, mate, had not heard it yet",  Maybe Dee can play his copy for us in lieu of Eno's Music for Assisted Suicides one day...

Anyway, GFTO was very well-received and got great reviews in the states. Wondrous Stories got air play as a single and the album was very Fragile-like, what with the song formats.  Still cannot figure out whatever the f**k they are saying at the end of Parallels, though.  LOL

And I actually liked Tormato. My wife and I renewed our vows 15 years or so ago and used Onward as the processional; love the happiness in Future Times/Rejoice, the fuzzy bass work in Silent Wings and even Circus of Heaven (play it in headphones; zone in on the background vocals - so Yes!) That being said, as a whole, it is one of my least favorite Yes albums, still better than Union though. Would not say I was disappointed in it, necessarily, just that it is not as righteous as GFTO.

Disappointed is waiting for September 1980 Yes tickets in a snowstorm in March (we did get first row), and have Jon and Rick leaving the band in June.  But that's for another day.

Dan_Joy, it's been a pleasure reminiscing.   Shocked

Jeff (from Illinois)

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #21 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 3:57am

Wow, Jeff, such a thorough, heartfelt, and articulate answer! I must say, you tempt me to try to prod more reminiscences & perspectives out you.

Although I'm not that familiar with GFTO as a whole (part of the reason I asked you about it), I must agree with you (and Jon Anderson, apparently) that "Awaken" is an awesome, awesome track.

I got Tormato around the time it came out and got a lot of enjoyment out of it, even though I agree that it doesn't seem to rank among the first or perhaps even second tier of the band's work. "Onward" is a lovely track.

Maybe it's time to start a Yes thread or revive an extant one...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #22 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 4:08am

jabyes wrote on 27th Aug, 2008 at 3:07am:
The solos, especially Fish Out of Water, kept us going, but it was not quite the same.

FISH OUT OF WATER (Chris Squire) was a favorite of mine, actually...I'm looking forward to having it again, this time on CD.

And just lately, I've acquired BEGINNINGS (Steve Howe), and I'm really enjoying it (not in the league of FISH, though).

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

jabyes
Stellar Patriot

Reply #23 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 4:35am

Beginnings is most excellent. Doors of Sleep and Australia are as fine a 1-2 punch to start off a solo album, let alone career, that one can imagine!

Unless, of course  you are Chris Squire, who countered with Hold Out Your Hand and You By My Side (and then finished the side with Silently Falling - WOW).

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #24 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 6:14am

jabyes wrote on 27th Aug, 2008 at 4:35am:
Beginnings is most excellent. Doors of Sleep and Australia are as fine a 1-2 punch to start off a solo album, let alone career, that one can imagine!

Unless, of course  you are Chris Squire, who countered with Hold Out Your Hand and You By My Side (and then finished the side with Silently Falling - WOW).

Very true and especially well put, Jabyes!
And thanks for chiming in on this thread!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #25 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 6:51pm

Great thread, guys !! Interesting and informative stuff.

Keep on posting ... Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #26 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 8:40pm

Moi aussi!Superb storys from Jeff!

Some more svp!

Cool

IP Logged

fish_head
Sound Chaser

Reply #27 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 8:53pm

what a great thread !!!!

keep those stories comin folks.Makes a great read!!!

what Starcastle albums do u guys recommend then??? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #28 - 27th Aug, 2008 at 9:53pm

Very gratified to discover that others are enjoying this thread as much as I am!

fish_head wrote on 27th Aug, 2008 at 8:53pm:
what Starcastle albums do u guys recommend then??? Roll Eyes

That's an easy one, f_h! The first album, which is just called STARCASTLE (see cover image below), and the second album, which is called FOUNTAINS OF LIGHT.

Last year's SONG OF TIMES is really growing on me as well, even though it didn't grab me much on the first one or two listens--I've given it three spins, all the way through, today alone! Lots of richness and depth...but very much an entity unto itself, a different beast from the 70s Starcastle material, although you can definitely hear the connections.

starcastle_small.JPG (27 KB | 430 )
starcastle_small.JPG

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #29 - 28th Aug, 2008 at 11:21pm

Hey Jeff (from Illinois), I was wondering if you've ever seen Starcastle live, also wondering if you agree with my top Starcastle album recommendations for fish_head.

F_h, I've been thinking about it, and if I had to recommend just ONE Starcastle album, I think FOUNTAINS OF LIGHT might win out over STARCASTLE by a just a hair. Somehow FOUNTAINS maintains a certain level of emotional power throughout and is a little more keyboard-oriented. Plus, from the reviews and comments I've read here and there, I think FOUNTAINS is pretty widely agreed to be their definitive album.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #30 - 28th Aug, 2008 at 11:27pm

Thank you for this information Dan!

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #31 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 7:03am

ino_100 wrote on 20th Aug, 2008 at 2:27pm:

Max

I'm listening to a few live Dream Theater tracks here on SA at the moment, allowing me to give a better response to Max's question than I did earlier...off hand, I don't hear a lot of similarity. I'd describe the DT vocal style as very theatrical and dramatic, whereas I'd describe the vocal style in the classic Starcastle material as very consistent and somewhat laid back...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #32 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm

Maybe I did not make a deep analysis of the vocals like you did Dan... Embarrassed

But there where something that I did not appreciate in both bands and I've put it on the vocals. But maybe it's something else. I don't know maybe it's to much. But I don't know.. I've heard people often say things like YES is to much and I love YES.... But maybe just a question of getting used to it and enjoying it after a couple of listen!

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #33 - 30th Aug, 2008 at 2:03am

ino_100 wrote on 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm:
Maybe I did not make a deep analysis of the vocals like you did Dan... Embarrassed

But there where something that I did not appreciate in both bands and I've put it on the vocals. But maybe it's something else. I don't know maybe it's to much. But I don't know.. I've heard people often say things like YES is to much and I love YES.... But maybe just a question of getting used to it and enjoying it after a couple of listen!

Max

I'm not so sure I've made a deep analysis! But at any rate, it's nothing to be Embarrassed about!

I think you're right, it can often be a matter of taking a little time to acquire the taste. I think Jon Anderson's vocals can sometimes be an acquired taste, although millions have certainly acquired it! Frankly, I find some of his vocals in projects other than classic-period Yes irritating. There was a period of time where I didn't think I liked his vocals much at all, although I've come back 'round to appreciating much of his vocal work quite a bit.

And as much as I can find to appreciate about the music of Peter Hammill and The Van Der Graaf Generator, sometimes, quite a bit of the time actually, Peter Hammill's vocals are, for me, too much! I can relate.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #34 - 4th Sep, 2008 at 2:28pm

ino_100 wrote on 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm:
I'm not so sure I've made a deep analysis! But at any rate, it's nothing to be Embarrassed about!

I think you're right, it can often be a matter of taking a little time to acquire the taste. I think Jon Anderson's vocals can sometimes be an acquired taste, although millions have certainly acquired it! Frankly, I find some of his vocals in projects other than classic-period Yes irritating. There was a period of time where I didn't think I liked his vocals much at all, although I've come back 'round to appreciating much of his vocal work quite a bit.

And as much as I can find to appreciate about the music of Peter Hammill and The Van Der Graaf Generator, sometimes, quite a bit of the time actually, Peter Hammill's vocals are, for me, too much! I can relate.

Same thing with Rush... The first listen, I though the voice was very irritating, but the musicianship was amazing. So I gave Geddy Lee a chance and now I don't mind him much.

I think its just a question to getting used to it! It's like when the Radiohead album "Kid A" came out. It was different from what we where used to and it was an experimental album. I wasn't sure what to think after the first listen so I've listenned to it another time the next day. I can say that it was maybe after 2 weeks and 10 listens that I really enjoyed the album in its entirety.

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #35 - 4th Sep, 2008 at 10:55pm

ino_100 wrote on 4th Sep, 2008 at 2:28pm:
Same thing with Rush... The first listen, I though the voice was very irritating, but the musicianship was amazing. So I gave Geddy Lee a chance and now I don't mind him much.

I think its just a question to getting used to it! It's like when the Radiohead album "Kid A" came out. It was different from what we where used to and it was an experimental album. I wasn't sure what to think after the first listen so I've listenned to it another time the next day. I can say that it was maybe after 2 weeks and 10 listens that I really enjoyed the album in its entirety.

Max

Yeah, Geddy Lee is another good example. (I've rather liked even to begin with some of his more laid-back--ie, not screechy--efforts...hard for me to come up with an example because I'm inexpert in the Rush corpus.)

And you're totally right, it really is amazing how so much of my favorite music is stuff that has grown on me, over the course of several listens or even over years. ABBEY ROAD is an example of the latter -- I gave it several spins of rediscovery this year and appreciate it now more than ever!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #36 - 5th Sep, 2008 at 11:58pm

Where's bostonba63? Previous posts have led me to believe he'd have some enlightening perspectives on the music of Starcastle...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #37 - 7th Sep, 2008 at 11:24pm

Currently playing track:
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison

Hey, Max, I'm listening to a very different Dream Theater track at the moment, here on SA, and I could see a comparison between these vocals and those on last year's Starcastle record, the one with the new, heavier-sounding vocalist. They could definitely be categorized together in a certain heavy-rock general style.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1