Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Starcastle vintage and recent (Read 38,125 times)

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Re: Starcastle vintage and recent
Reply #30 - 28th Aug, 2008 at 11:27pm

Thank you for this information Dan!

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

turn on, tune in, comment
profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #31 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 7:03am

ino_100 wrote on 20th Aug, 2008 at 2:27pm:
Well, i'm unfamiliar with this band but from what I heard so far, it's good musicianship but the singer is not my cup of tea. Personally I have a bit of problems with signers like in Dream Theater. If I recall, you could enlighten me on this Dan, the singer in Starcastle is in the DT fashion?

Max

I'm listening to a few live Dream Theater tracks here on SA at the moment, allowing me to give a better response to Max's question than I did earlier...off hand, I don't hear a lot of similarity. I'd describe the DT vocal style as very theatrical and dramatic, whereas I'd describe the vocal style in the classic Starcastle material as very consistent and somewhat laid back...

"It's all about the prog"
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #32 - 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm

Maybe I did not make a deep analysis of the vocals like you did Dan... Embarrassed

But there where something that I did not appreciate in both bands and I've put it on the vocals. But maybe it's something else. I don't know maybe it's to much. But I don't know.. I've heard people often say things like YES is to much and I love YES.... But maybe just a question of getting used to it and enjoying it after a couple of listen!

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #33 - 30th Aug, 2008 at 2:03am

ino_100 wrote on 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm:
Maybe I did not make a deep analysis of the vocals like you did Dan... Embarrassed

But there where something that I did not appreciate in both bands and I've put it on the vocals. But maybe it's something else. I don't know maybe it's to much. But I don't know.. I've heard people often say things like YES is to much and I love YES.... But maybe just a question of getting used to it and enjoying it after a couple of listen!

Max

I'm not so sure I've made a deep analysis! But at any rate, it's nothing to be Embarrassed about!

I think you're right, it can often be a matter of taking a little time to acquire the taste. I think Jon Anderson's vocals can sometimes be an acquired taste, although millions have certainly acquired it! Frankly, I find some of his vocals in projects other than classic-period Yes irritating. There was a period of time where I didn't think I liked his vocals much at all, although I've come back 'round to appreciating much of his vocal work quite a bit.

And as much as I can find to appreciate about the music of Peter Hammill and The Van Der Graaf Generator, sometimes, quite a bit of the time actually, Peter Hammill's vocals are, for me, too much! I can relate.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #34 - 4th Sep, 2008 at 2:28pm

ino_100 wrote on 29th Aug, 2008 at 4:20pm:
I'm not so sure I've made a deep analysis! But at any rate, it's nothing to be Embarrassed about!

I think you're right, it can often be a matter of taking a little time to acquire the taste. I think Jon Anderson's vocals can sometimes be an acquired taste, although millions have certainly acquired it! Frankly, I find some of his vocals in projects other than classic-period Yes irritating. There was a period of time where I didn't think I liked his vocals much at all, although I've come back 'round to appreciating much of his vocal work quite a bit.

And as much as I can find to appreciate about the music of Peter Hammill and The Van Der Graaf Generator, sometimes, quite a bit of the time actually, Peter Hammill's vocals are, for me, too much! I can relate.

Same thing with Rush... The first listen, I though the voice was very irritating, but the musicianship was amazing. So I gave Geddy Lee a chance and now I don't mind him much.

I think its just a question to getting used to it! It's like when the Radiohead album "Kid A" came out. It was different from what we where used to and it was an experimental album. I wasn't sure what to think after the first listen so I've listenned to it another time the next day. I can say that it was maybe after 2 weeks and 10 listens that I really enjoyed the album in its entirety.

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #35 - 4th Sep, 2008 at 10:55pm

ino_100 wrote on 4th Sep, 2008 at 2:28pm:
Same thing with Rush... The first listen, I though the voice was very irritating, but the musicianship was amazing. So I gave Geddy Lee a chance and now I don't mind him much.

I think its just a question to getting used to it! It's like when the Radiohead album "Kid A" came out. It was different from what we where used to and it was an experimental album. I wasn't sure what to think after the first listen so I've listenned to it another time the next day. I can say that it was maybe after 2 weeks and 10 listens that I really enjoyed the album in its entirety.

Max

Yeah, Geddy Lee is another good example. (I've rather liked even to begin with some of his more laid-back--ie, not screechy--efforts...hard for me to come up with an example because I'm inexpert in the Rush corpus.)

And you're totally right, it really is amazing how so much of my favorite music is stuff that has grown on me, over the course of several listens or even over years. ABBEY ROAD is an example of the latter -- I gave it several spins of rediscovery this year and appreciate it now more than ever!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #36 - 5th Sep, 2008 at 11:58pm

Where's bostonba63? Previous posts have led me to believe he'd have some enlightening perspectives on the music of Starcastle...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #37 - 7th Sep, 2008 at 11:24pm

Currently playing track:
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison

Hey, Max, I'm listening to a very different Dream Theater track at the moment, here on SA, and I could see a comparison between these vocals and those on last year's Starcastle record, the one with the new, heavier-sounding vocalist. They could definitely be categorized together in a certain heavy-rock general style.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3