Just Heard 'Focus' (Read 18,474 times)

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Just Heard 'Focus'
Reply #15 - 9th Aug, 2008 at 1:11am

boradicus wrote on 9th Aug, 2008 at 12:33am:
Nice Marillion set !  Is there a song about a Magpie off  Misplaced  Childhood?  BTW - this later Marillion sounds better to me than some  of the earlier Genesis-copy sounding stuff, but Kaleigh is still a cool tune =)  - just  sad!

The song you're referring to is 'Childhood's End' from the 'Misplaced Childhood' album which incidentally also features 'Kayleigh'.

There's often a divide as to listener's preference for either early / latter period Marillion. Personally, I think the Genesis comparison a little unwarranted, only 'Grendal' being an obvious 'early Genesis sound' by Marillion.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #16 - 9th Aug, 2008 at 1:25am

boradicus wrote on 9th Aug, 2008 at 12:35am:
ps - got any Walter Carlos before he became err Wendy? heh.

Unfortunately not. DJ Heracleum Mantegazziani is probably the best person to answer this question. Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

boradicus
Stellar Newbie

Reply #17 - 9th Aug, 2008 at 1:43am

Cool - was just curious if Carlos was in the mix Wink - electronica is not strictly progressive but it rocks !!!  especially  moog bach Wink

hey  this sever tomorrow is pretty cool  -  never heard it before - porcupine tree is  pretty new to me.

sorry about marillion/genesis reference they obviously have  their unique sound - i suppose my first exposure to them in the late 80s evoked  this  comparison as the  friend  who  told  me about them said they were  like  Genesis Smiley

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #18 - 9th Aug, 2008 at 1:51am

The reason why I mentioned DJ HM is that he has run both 'Moog' and 'Mellotron' sessions on S.A. before and will no doubt run similar sessions in the future. He's more of an expert on such matters than myself. Cool

Don't apologise for the Marillion / Genesis comparison. It's something that's mentioned frequently by listeners and fans of the group, feel free to comment as you wish. Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2