Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Confessions of a Serial Prog Listener (Read 10,243 times)

The_Indisciplined
Stellar Newbie

Confessions of a Serial Prog Listener
13th Jun, 2005 at 1:39pm

Okay, new here......Hello all!

I know nobody asked but.....

What brings me here:

The first "prog" record I actually listened to, (and I'm not talking about the vague memories of partial lyrics like "Me? I'm a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk", of various songs ingrained into my memory long enough for me to recognizes years later on a "new" old album I just bought) but really listened to like a Herion addict was Cignus X-1 by Rush.  I forget the album now, the one before Hemispheres.  Anyway, this started a almost complete absorption in all things "Rush" for years afterward.  No one understood, family disapproved, friends laughed...all alone...forever....  until they came out with "Moving Pictures" and for a little while I had company because they were cool and everyone was listening and then shortly afterward they forgot again and I was alone.....all alone.

I picked up my first Gabriel album in college, I was still into Rush but Peter grabbed hold of me and held tight!  I progressed in reverse chronology: Security, to his remaining solo efforts, to his Genesis.  I also dabbled in Early-Late Genesis, the Phil whatshisname kind....

Question: Where is this all leading?

Answer: Be patient, I'll get to it.  C'mon you're used to listeing to tracks beyond the 3 minute mark. You can handle this!

ELP was next.  And like the others almost exclusively for a time.  Then I'd occasionally go back to Rush, Genesis and Gabriel but the pendilum would always take its swing back to ELP. during the final years of college.

Did I mention the Yes illness?  That too of course....salivation, the works!

And then Crimson!  A long term affair starting in the late 80's and still continuing.  Although, I've almost totally lost interet in ELP, I go back to the others and relive my past and sometimes buy some of their new material.  However, almost 20 years later, if I occasionally tire of tracking multiple time signatures in my head I relish in the shear variety of the music that has occureed under the name "King Crimson"  always changing never popular, never easy to listen to....at least at first.

Question: Are you finished yet, I hate King Crimson?
Answer:  I know everyone does at first.....Just a little more.

I've worried.....WORRIED for YEARS!  What happens when I get tired of KC?  I HATE the "Rock" that goes on the radio today.  I am sick and tired of Bach and Mozart.  Jazz is nice when I'm in the mood but.... whats next? Who would be so bold?  What band could possibly saciate my overcrimsifisticated ear?  I've not known that anyone was making good music anymore....not until a friend joked and said something like:  "You need to find a station that just plays King Crimson"....I sneered...I laughed....I cried....I wondered....and I typed the magic KCeyword....did I find what I thought I would?

Well no. That seems always the case with King Crimson.

I found something better!  Stellar Attraction.....Aural Moon!  A seemingly endless supply of music from the most creative musicians ever!

I've never heard of the Flower Kings until I started streaming.  Never Heard of Little Atlas! Great!  Yes, Yes YES! and more Yes and then Yesclones by the dozens!   Yes...I mean Great!  Floyd!... "Careful with that axe Ugene" goes down nicely with morning coffee thankyou!....  I haven't heard Gentle Giant since I was a kid!.... I'd forgotten about Merillion.   I thought they were DEAD!

Thank you!  

I have but one request.... play something I haven't heard before!

Well two...Would anyone care to spill their guts on their obsessive listening habits?  Mayhe I'm not alone afterall?

Okay one more:  This serial progression obsession...is it a common problem amoung listeners?

Look forward to this already overly long thread um....progressing.

In the meantime I'll listen like a fiend.

Geoff

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Re: Confessions of a Serial Prog Listener
Reply #1 - 13th Jun, 2005 at 3:59pm

Hi Geoff

Welcome to the SA forum.

I have to say that is the best post so far here.

And yes, all of us here suffer from that disease and Stellar Attraction is our clinic. But thankfully there is no cure!

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #2 - 13th Jun, 2005 at 4:19pm

Geoff,

Welcome to 'Stellar Attraction' - excellent post !! You're definitely not alone with your 'condition' ... Grin

Dee

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Janey
Starship Trooper

Reply #3 - 14th Jun, 2005 at 4:37am

lol!! What a great post to readf!

IP Logged

Landy
Stellar Newbie

"Be yourself, or live
the fantasy within"

Reply #4 - 11th Sep, 2005 at 10:28am

Hey "The_Indisciplined",

Your post was great and I simply loved the humor, i.e where is all this leading? etc...

Until I came across S.A listed in Shoutcast, I was continually flipping through the channels, similarly to the moves I perform whilst watching tv with my remote - click, click, click trying to find something decent to watch!

Well, finally I saw a link to S.A at the bottom of the 128 bitrate channels and thought I would try it. Before doing so, I clicked and reviewed info about the station and low and behold, my fav. groups were listed! ELP, Yes, Genesis, Floyd...what more could I ask for? I found Stellar Attraction!

So when I listen to radio on the net now, the ONLY station I plug into is Stellar Attraction! So the point here........hold on, it's coming.....Simply said, I understand and appreciate your post.

Looking forward to more of them!!

Landy

IP Logged

yes69
Stellar Newbie

Reply #5 - 19th Jan, 2006 at 9:40pm

Hi Indisciplined,
Loved your post re: serial prog.
I have to confess to the same affliction. I'm 52 and have been a prog fan since Arnold Layne by PF.
I've been to see Yes in the USA and Canada in 2004 and have seen them here in Ireland (first time in 1969), and I have to say that I'll keep on going until they quit.
I met a Yesfan (aged 58) at the Yes gig in Syracuse and he recommended Porcupine Tree as a prescription for my Prog addiction.
Boy was he right. They are the best band I've heard in years.
I've been perusing the forums on some band sites and it seems there are a lot of us Silver surfers rediscovering "real" music through recommendations from other diehard fans, and I think that's great.
So look out for the geriatric moshpit at the next prog gig you go to.
I might be in it. Smiley

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #6 - 19th Jan, 2006 at 10:21pm

Smiley Great stuff Indisciplined!  
The only thing I might add (seeing as I'm among my over 40 peers) is that its a
good
thing that there was no mp3, internet streaming or readily available information explosion on all things prog -- 20 years ago -- or it would have been a life of crime for me!   Either that, or I'd become (more of) a hermit or social misfit that spends all  his waking hours consumed with a musical hunger - nay - obsession -  growing and expounding exponentially day by day!!!

...then again... Grin Cool

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #7 - 19th Jan, 2006 at 11:20pm

Definitely one of the best posts on the forum.

Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

pno74
Stellar Patriot

Valjouze (France)
Reply #8 - 1st Feb, 2006 at 7:36am

+1   

Wink

What would life be without SA ??? Please donate to keep it up for years and years   Wink

IP Logged