HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Marillion (Read 22,584 times)

LonMelJr
Stellar Newbie

Marillion
14th Jan, 2005 at 9:08am

Hi everyone -

I noticed that a lot of people seem to like Marillion.  However, before I found this shoutcast, I never knew who they were (not a clue!).  I heard some of the music played on the shoutcast and like it.  I did research on the group and found it has a cult following, and generally struggles for money.

So, my question to you all - which album should I purchase first?  What would display the band at its best in your opinion?

I appreciate everyones' input, for I don't really know where to begin.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Marillion
Reply #1 - 14th Jan, 2005 at 4:13pm

Take it away Silver ...  Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #2 - 14th Jan, 2005 at 6:54pm

Hi there.

Now where do I begin on this one?

I won’t bore you with a band history or trying to describe the music. You just need to listen to it. Marillion seem to appeal to a wide range of people who’s other musical tastes stretch form Prog to Punk, Metal to New Romantic 80’s Pop, so your own musical taste isn’t necessarily important as to wether you will like them or not. Keep an open mind!

I would recommend the following albums:

Marbles Their most recent album from last year, and quite simply stunning. Shows off their knack for writing more conventional pop rock tunes (includes  2 hit singles) as well as 20 min prog epics and lots more in between. This is where the band are today so you may as well start with this.

Clutching at Straws However, if your only exposure to Marillion is via this site then chances are what you have heard has been something from this album. This is the bands fourth album (1987) and the last one with original frontman Fish.

Brave Dark concept album from 1994 considered by many fans (and to some extent the band as well) to be their best work.

Afraid of Sunlight A loose concept album dealing with the pitfalls of fame and celebrity. 8 songs with connecting themes as opposed to a story running through it.

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but getting hold of any Marillion music is easier doing it directly from the bands web site (and ensures the band get more money from the sale). http://www.marillion.com/racket/music.html

I hope enjoy the music of Marillion. But be warned; there’s a lot of catching up to do so this could become expensive. Visit the Marillion forum and say hi, we won’t bite. Grin http://www.marillion.com/forum/index.php

IP Logged

LonMelJr
Stellar Newbie

Reply #3 - 15th Jan, 2005 at 1:02am

Haha - well.  Thanks for the review.  I know how it can be to describe one's favorite band, so I appreciate the brevity.  I will probably go with clutching at the straws since it was the music on the site that I liked, so it should be a safe bet.  I appreciate the input - hopefully the conversion rate to the dollar won't wipe out my bank account.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #4 - 16th Jan, 2005 at 9:11am

Quote:
Clutching at Straws However, if your only exposure to Marillion is via this site then chances are what you have heard has been something from this album. This is the bands fourth album (1987) and the last one with original frontman Fish.

I have and play material from all of the 'Marillion' albums with 'Fish'.

When Fish left the group I have to admit to being more than a bit gutted. Apart from loving 'Marillion', they were the first band I saw live. I remember the English comedian 'Will Smith' ('Wife for William', 'The 11 o 'clock show') comparing Fish's departure from 'Marillion' with Margaret Thatcher's from the Tory Party ...  Grin

I also remember buying the first 'post-Fish' album and not being very impressed at all ('Clutching at Straws' still remains my favourite). However, I have to admit that Silver has pointed-out the error of my ways - 'Marbles' truly is a fantastic album and I'm in the process of re-educating myself on this excellent band.

Silver - Why no inclusion of 'Misplaced Childhood' within your recommendations ?? Just curious - apart from the fact that this recording is closely on the heels of 'Clutching' as my favourite album of their's.

Cheers.

D.C.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #5 - 16th Jan, 2005 at 7:54pm

There isn't a Marillion album I don't like, and some are obviously better than others. But as an introduction to the band, the four I have listed are IMHO the best. Misplaced Childhood is a brilliant album (this year is its 20th anniversary) and their most successful commercially, but I prefer Clutching at Straws. Maybe it's the darker subject matter(?)

Yeah, I was absolutely gutted too when Fish left the band. Here was the only band I had ever got into before the release of any records, who had then gone on to make something of themselves. And now their front man had left. But Marillion was never just Fish as I soon realised when Seasons End was released. As much as I couldn't imagine Marillion without Fish then, that feeling is tenfold for Steve Hogarth, although as already stated the band is more than just its singer.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 21st Jan, 2005 at 2:00am

Quote:
Visit the Marillion forum and say hi, we won’t bite.  http://www.marillion.com/forum/index.php

I've tried to sign-up to the 'Marillion Forum' twice now, without success on both occasions.. Apart from wanting my postal address (not sure why they would want that !?*) - which I gave but still didn't receive any feedback regarding login details ...

Shame.

D.C.

* Perhaps they've run a background check on me and discovered that I bought a 'Duran Duran' single back in the 80's and 'black-balled' me ?

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #7 - 21st Jan, 2005 at 5:57am

i think marillion are one of my favourite progressive bands, they are superb whatever they do  8)

IP Logged

LonMelJr
Stellar Newbie

Reply #8 - 22nd Jan, 2005 at 11:43pm

They've a very nice band - I just received the album today actually.  I don't think I was as blown away with it as I was when buying, say, close to the edge or foxtrot.  But I'm sure after a few listens, Clutching At The Straws should grow on me.

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #9 - 24th Jan, 2005 at 4:15am

'Close to the Edge' and 'Foxtrot' are two absolute classics and it would take somethng very special to stand up against them on first listen. But give CaS a chance and I'm sure you will come to love it.
Now that you have taken your first dip into the world of Marillion you have two choices before you as your next move. Either go back in time and check out their three other studio albums with Fish (Misplaced Childhood, Fugazi, Script for a Jesters Tear) or to move forward and see how they sound today. I am assuming you have the 2 disc remastered CaS in which case some of the tracks on the second disc went on to appear on their next album 'Seasons End'. However Fish had then left the band so he took the lyrics with him and new singer Steve Hogarth along with lyicist John Helmer produced new lyrics for the music. So for example the muisc for 'Story from a Thin Wall' appears on 'Seasons end' as 'Berlin' and the lyrics as 'Family Business' on Fishs solo album 'Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirror' (This is probably too much information and should have appeared in the Trivia thread.)
What ever choice you make I am sure you will feel rewarded. And incidently, there isn't a right or wrong choice.
Grin

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #10 - 24th Jan, 2005 at 4:21am

Quote:
So for example the muisc for 'Story from a Thin Wall' appears on 'Seasons end' as 'Berlin' and the lyrics as 'Family Business' on Fishs solo album 'Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirror' (This is probably too much information and should have appeared in the Trivia thread.)

Far from trivia in my opinion.  Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #11 - 24th Jan, 2005 at 4:23am

which is the best marillion recording to buy without the singer fish?

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #12 - 24th Jan, 2005 at 11:35pm

See my post near the top of this thread for some answers to that question.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #13 - 25th Jan, 2005 at 5:07am

'Marbles' really is a great album ...

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #14 - 25th Jan, 2005 at 7:07am

thank you for the recomendation

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #15 - 22nd Mar, 2005 at 5:18pm

The real lyrics to 'Ocean Cloud' ……………not! Grin

http://www.geocities.com/blindperv/oceancloud.html

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #16 - 23rd Mar, 2005 at 2:38am

lol - like it Silver ... very funny indeed ...  Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #17 - 13th Apr, 2005 at 12:58am

Marillion will play at this years Guilfest on July 17th.

http://www.marillion.com/tour/index.html

http://www.guilfest.co.uk/2005/html/home.htm

Guess who'll be going to that then!  Grin

IP Logged

tormatotork
Astral Traveller

The Planet Zarg
Reply #18 - 22nd Oct, 2005 at 10:40pm

They are playing at the Forum in Kentish Town in December and I shall be there.

Well hello, or should I say, 'Munga Munga'
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

tormatotork
Astral Traveller

The Planet Zarg
Reply #19 - 6th Nov, 2005 at 4:27am

Additionally Kino, are playing on Dec. 16 at the Borderline

Well hello, or should I say, 'Munga Munga'
WWW WWW  
IP Logged