Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Progressive Rock article in the Guardian (Read 4,043 times)

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Progressive Rock article in the Guardian
26th Jul, 2010 at 8:55pm

An interesting read in the online edition of the UK's Guardian newspaper about Progressive Rock.

"After its 1970s heyday, prog rock receded in on itself, but now a new wave of bands are embracing long, difficult songs and fantastical lyrics – and finding fans for it, too"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/22/prog-rock-genesis-rush-mostly-autumn

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

David Z
Stellar Patriot

Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
Re: Progressive Rock article in the Guardian
Reply #1 - 27th Jul, 2010 at 12:44am

Yes, a very interesting read indeed (he wrote with the completely non-rhythmic "Phaedra" from Tangerine Dream in the background. Wink ).

There are some amusing/interesting points made in the article, including:

"'the current new prog bands have learnt from the excesses of the past',... no, they haven't. They haven't at all. People just don't seem bothered any more."

and

"Ewing suggests the rise of the internet helped propagate and spread the prog scene ", which I believe is quite true, at least in my own experience with SA.

Thanks for posting, D!

- David Z.

Reaction level's much too high
I can do without the stimuli

IP Logged

Dean
Astral Traveller

New CD "Fantasizer!" out
May 2014!

Muskoka, Canada
Reply #2 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 5:23pm

"the current new prog bands have learnt from the excesses of the past',... no, they haven't. They haven't at all. People just don't seem bothered any more."

I agree with you David.  And I'm also pleased to see it's true.  There are ( or have been ) too many rules placed on musical formats.  I for one don't agree with this, and I'm glad to see it's changing for the better.  People seem 'cool' with much more these days, which allows us - the artists - more freedom in their expression.

Dean.

WWW WWW https://www.facebook.com/#!/dean.watson.904  
IP Logged

David Z
Stellar Patriot

Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
Reply #3 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 9:13pm

Case in point, Dean: Without the internet, it is very likely that I would not have known of your music.

Wink

- David Z.

Reaction level's much too high
I can do without the stimuli

IP Logged