Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

The Torture Never Stops (Read 9,318 times)

Andrew P
Astral Traveller

Hall, ACT, Australia
The Torture Never Stops
10th Feb, 2009 at 3:10am

Tuesday am your time.

03:04:35  Jethro Tull - My Sunday Feeling
02:55:31 Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops

Listening in Oz.
Constant dropouts. Sad
Like every second or so.
Can't be listened to, I'm afraid.
The Torture Never Stops.  Roll Eyes

WWW WWW andrew.purdam  
IP Logged

alan sharkey
Stellar DJ

What 70's hackers become
when they grow up

Rochdale, UK
Re: The Torture Never Stops
Reply #1 - 10th Feb, 2009 at 6:36pm

Get no problems here in the UK - so I guess its a latency or routing issue overseas.

Alan

Alan Sharkey
Retired but still Progging.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #2 - 10th Feb, 2009 at 7:36pm

Hi Andrew,

I've checked the server logs and there hasn't been any connectivity issues at all.

Even though you're in Australia (and the ShoutCast servers are in London), this shouldn't cause any problems (a couple of listeners from New Zealand tuned-in around the time you mention). The ShoutCast servers have Public Peering agreements with Above.net, Level3, Teleglobe and MCI for the Far East and Australasia.

Obviously I would suggest performing the usual checks - were you downloading or browsing heavily whilst tuned-in ? That and if you do experience any buffering, try connecting to the 32 kbps AAC+ stream - there isn't a great deal of difference in audio quality between that and the 128 kbps MP3 stream.

In the meantime, I hope all is well again. Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Andrew P
Astral Traveller

Hall, ACT, Australia
Reply #3 - 6th Mar, 2009 at 12:07am

Dang! It's happening again.
Just totally shite streaming from your corner of the world again (a certain other prog radio - based in the US I think - is showing no probs). Just happens every now and again though this time it's been a problem for about 12 hours or more.
Oh well. I'll tune in another time.

WWW WWW andrew.purdam  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #4 - 6th Mar, 2009 at 11:39pm

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear that you've experienced difficulty tuning-in again.

I've checked the server logs and there haven't been any connectivity issues from my end at all. Whilst you're obviously physically very far away from the ShoutCast servers (which are in London), as I've mentioned in this thread, the internet backbone which they are on is very well connected. As is the case in such things, the situations are very different depending on the hosting provider and their specific agreements with the various Global Transits out there.

Anyway, all I can really suggest is if you encounter this problem again is to tune into the 32 kbps AAC+ stream. I would be very surprised to hear of any problems connecting to this server as the bandwidth is so much lower than the 128 kbps stream and as such, you're far less likely to lose any data when connected. In saying this, as AAC+ is far superior at compression than MP3, the audio quality of both streams should be very similar.

Please let me know if you experience any further issues.

Darran

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Andrew P
Astral Traveller

Hall, ACT, Australia
Reply #5 - 10th Mar, 2009 at 4:20am

Thanks for your reply.
I agree that it must be an issue caused on the net after leaving your stream servers.
I have tried the 32kbps streams on these occasions, and the problems still occurred at those times.
Not a big issue, as the problem seems to be only twice a month, and resolves within a half day or so.

WWW WWW andrew.purdam  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 10th Mar, 2009 at 7:50pm

Hi again Andrew,

Sorry to hear that you've experienced issues with both the servers. Strange. I've checked with the ShoutCast server host in London and they have confirmed that there hasn't been any problems with the Australasia back-bone that S.A. is on.

If this occurs again, could you perform either a ping or a trace-route to streaming address ? If you're unsure as to how to do this, please feel free to send me a PM.

There are always several users from Australia or New Zealand tuned-in at any given time and nobody else has reported any issues.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged