Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Website alignment in Firefox - noted and fixed !! (Read 46,453 times)

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Website alignment in Firefox - noted and fixed
Reply #30 - 23rd Feb, 2008 at 9:56pm

This has now been fixed.

I've also updated the CSS to ensure the website displays better (and more consistent) in both browsers.

Please let me know if anyone experiences any further problems.

Enjoy.

D

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Re: c - noted and fixed
Reply #31 - 25th Feb, 2008 at 1:42pm

Not to piss you off Dee but, there is still a scroll up / scroll down bar beside the "What is playing now" window...

But, its true that the name of the thread is    Website alignment in Firefox   and the side scroll bar has disappeared

One Love

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #32 - 25th Feb, 2008 at 2:22pm

No problem, Max.

Yes, a vertical scroll-bar will be displayed in Firefox / Mozilla browsers if the 'currently playing / last five tracks played' table is too big to fit neatly in the iFrame. This will happen when there are lengthy song titles, otherwise no scroll-bars will be displayed.

The original issue reported here was that Firefox / Mozilla browsers were displaying scroll-bars (both horizontal and vertical) regardless of the size of the table.

So, all should now be well.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #33 - 28th Feb, 2008 at 2:41pm

All bars have dissapeared Thank you   Cool

Max

One Love

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #34 - 29th Feb, 2008 at 7:33pm

ino_100 wrote on 28th Feb, 2008 at 2:41pm:
All bars have dissapeared Thank you   Cool

Max

When there are long song titles and they cannot fit into the iFrame (the area where the song information is displayed on the website), a side scroll-bar will appear. So, the listener can easily scroll down to see what has 'overrun'.

I've checked and re-checked this in Firefox / Mozilla browsers and it looks fine to me.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

m_gol
Stellar Newbie

Poland (Warsaw/Stalowa Wola)
Re: Website alignment in Firefox - noted and fixed !!
Reply #35 - 26th Feb, 2009 at 11:45pm

Actually, any bad rendering can be caused by the lacking DOCTYPE in the header of the site (and other errors). Apart from the IE, any other browser should display the site fine if its written according to W3C standards. Lacking DOCTYPE or DOCTYPE of an older type cause most standards-compliant browsers to display the page using not compatible "Quirks mode" - in Firefox right-click on the page and choose "View Page Information" - there is a "render mode" option - for best results, it should display "Standards compliance mode". This forum is rendered this way, main stellar-attraction.com site now. This forum is written according to web standards, stellar-attraction.com - not. This can cause problems - and if You fix it for Firefox, it can still be broken in Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, Konqueror etc. etc. That's why I believe the best method is to write standard compliant sites and make only workarounds for IE (unfortunately, they don't give a damn for keeping to web standards Sad).

See errors from Your site:
W3C Validator results for stellar-attraction.com

This forum is coded properly, though:
W3C Validator results for this forum

Regards,
Michał Gołębiowski
student of Mathematics & Computer Science at the Warsaw University in Poland

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #36 - 28th Feb, 2009 at 5:06pm

Hi there Michał,

Don't worry, something that I'm very aware of. Wink

You've probably noticed that there isn't the 'validation' logo on the 'main' pages of the website. The guys at YaBB are far more proficient than me at website development and coding, hence the difference between the forum and the 'main' pages when a validation check is made. Whilst I updated a lot of the HTML and PHP in the 'Phase 3a / 3b' upgrades to the website, it's not perfect. However, as far as I'm aware, the pages do display fine in any browser which is important although not technically perfect.

As you've pointed out, the nuances between the various browsers are difficult and often annoying when attempting to create any kind of webpage these days. Not to worry, errors are always ironed-out as and when pages are updated.

A fair portion of the errors that are reported are actually within third-party links that are displayed on the pages - the Amazon Widget and the Waum link, for example.

Anyway, it's something that well become less and less frequent as and when the S.A. website's pages are updated.

D

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

m_gol
Stellar Newbie

Poland (Warsaw/Stalowa Wola)
Reply #37 - 28th Feb, 2009 at 6:31pm

I understand, I'd only want to point out that even only adding a proper DOCTYPE could solve most of the problems. Wink Or more accurately - even if adding the DOCTYPE would broke the page, if You fixed it after adding it, there is a bigger chance it will display correctly in most browsers. Smiley

Nevertheless, I see You're engaging Yourself very much and if there should be any problems with displaying this page in a standards compliant browser, I'd just report it in the forum. Smiley

Regards,
Michał Gołębiowski
student of Mathematics & Computer Science at the Warsaw University in Poland

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3