Pages: 1 
New prog rock bands (Read 34,026 times)

Station90125
Astral Traveller

Lapsed Progger

Jersey
New prog rock bands
5th Nov, 2004 at 4:48am

Alrighty D.C., I have posted this topic to find out what new prog rock bands you and the other members were listening to these days, and who are your/their favourite modern prog rock bands.

When you are young, you dream about changing the world. As you grow older you find out you can't and find happiness in just being alive instead.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: New prog rock bands
Reply #1 - 5th Nov, 2004 at 8:51am

Hey Station !!

HHmmm good one - 'new' Prog Rock acts that could be recommended  ?? Have you heard any 'Dream Theatre' ? Fantastic stuff !! Amongst their Prog credentials is their support slot on the North American leg of the recent 'Yes' tour. 'Radiohead's' last album was blinding and I was pretty turned on by 'Mars Volta's debut album - although, not strictly 'prog', there is no doubt some sub-genre or other they could well be thrown into.

I've been listening to (and playing on the station) some spanking early 70s German prog acts such as 'Satin Whale', 'Brainbox' and 'Faust'.

Cheers for now.

D.C.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #2 - 12th Dec, 2004 at 7:03pm

Hi there!

I'm not sure if I would call Dream Theatre a new band unless the fact they weren't around in the seventies counts.

Here are a few 'new' band suggestions:
Porcupine Tree (althought they've been around almost as long as Dream Theatre)
Amplifier
Oceansize
Pineapple Thief
Sigur Ros
Mew

As to whether they count as prog depends on your definition of prog.

And hopefuly you will play lots of Marillion as well (please) Smiley

IP Logged

BCofOZ
Life Seeker

Emerald City Kansas
Reply #3 - 12th Dec, 2004 at 10:47pm

Wecome and Hello Silver!
I don't thnk there will ever be a "definition" of Prog music that will become common, due to differences in one's opinion.---I say a good thing!!!
I just call it "Good music that no one else plays!!"
A start at the least!!
Would like to hear some of these bands you list!.
Always looking for something new!

DC!   Good morning!  8 and a half here on Sunday morning.
Caught the "Lamia" last night along with the "Colony of Slipperman"!!--Very great!---I assume I missed the rest before, so, I should be a bit peed.
Anyhows! I woke up to ENO and now Crazy Diamond, so I think it will be a good day!!!

I wish a great Sunday to all of everyone here!

One request DC!---"LAZY DAY" by the Moodies!

Good Day to all of you!!---Brent

BCofOZ(Brent)  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #4 - 12th Dec, 2004 at 11:30pm

Hi there Silver !!

I'm glad you mentioned 'Marillion' ...

I'm going to be adding plenty of tracks from the excellent 're-issue' of 'Clutching At Straws' that came out a few years ago. 'Don't Hurt Yourself' is due to be re-added along with an excellent live version of the Genesis track 'I Know What I Like' with Steve Hackett joining the band ...

How about 'Fish' solo material ? Would love to hear some requests on that front ...

D.C.

PS The 'What Is Prog ?' question is still kicking-about I see ... be sure to have a look here ... http://gepr.net/genre2.html

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #5 - 13th Dec, 2004 at 2:59am

Hey! Thanks for playing Misplaced Childhood. Am listening now. Grin

By the way, next year is its 20th anniversary. How time flies. It only seems like yesterday I was at Hammersmith Odeon watching them perform it.

Now play something from 'Marbles'.

IP Logged

Captain_Squib
Stellar Newbie

Reply #6 - 20th May, 2005 at 10:40pm

I am really getting into Glass Hammer. Their music is just fantastic! I love their live album Live At Nearfest. This has to be one of the best live albums I've ever heard! And I'm really looking forward to their new album The Inconsolable Secret which comes out later this year.

And then there's The Syn, Chris Squire's new/old band that have reformed after nearly 40 years! They have a radio-single called Cathedral Of Love coming out soon and a new album in the summer. I believe the album is going to be called Syndestructable!

On top of all that, there's Alan White's new band White. They are recording a new album called Loyal, and have already performed 1 or 2 gigs in USA. But now the keyboard player - Ted Stockwell - has left and Geoff Downes has taken over and will play on the new album after finishing a tour with Asia. In summer, these 2 bands will be touring USA and Europe together, with Steve Howe!

Another new band I've just started listening to is Wishing Tree. They have an album out called Carnival of Souls. The guitarist is Steve Rothery of Marillion, and they have a female singer called Hannah Stobart. She sounds like Maggie Reilly, who used to sing for Mike Oldfield. Check them out.

IP Logged

collij
Stellar Newbie

Reply #7 - 21st May, 2005 at 12:42am

Good new prog bands include PORCUPINE TREE. The CD's Signify, In Absentia and Deadwing are all outstanding. THE MARS VOLTA are weird. Great guitars and keyboards, manic drumming and then beautiful passages of music as well. Deloused in the Crematorium is very highly recommended.
MUSE are a tremdous prog rock band. Two of the best Prog CD's of recent years SPOCK'S BEARD'S Snow and TRANSATLATICS debut CD. Sadly TRANSATLANTIC are no longer around.  But SPOCK'S BEARD are. They're still producing great CD's. The double CD Snow is the classic but the new one Octane is very good.  Plus the band's previous lead singer NEAL MORSE is also recording some great stuff. His new CD One is very reminiscent in places of YES, GENESIS and KING CRIMSON.

Jeff Collins

jeff.collins@bbc.co.uk

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #8 - 21st May, 2005 at 5:50am

Quote:
Good new prog bands include PORCUPINE TREE. The CD's Signify, In Absentia and Deadwing are all outstanding. THE MARS VOLTA are weird. Great guitars and keyboards, manic drumming and then beautiful passages of music as well. Deloused in the Crematorium is very highly recommended.
MUSE are a tremdous prog rock band. Two of the best Prog CD's of recent years SPOCK'S BEARD'S Snow and TRANSATLATICS debut CD. Sadly TRANSATLANTIC are no longer around.  But SPOCK'S BEARD are. They're still producing great CD's. The double CD Snow is the classic but the new one Octane is very good.  Plus the band's previous lead singer NEAL MORSE is also recording some great stuff. His new CD One is very reminiscent in places of YES, GENESIS and KING CRIMSON.

Jeff Collins

jeff.collins@bbc.co.uk

Hi there Jeff and welcome to the forum !! Grin

All of the above groups (and albums) are featured on the playlist.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Captain_Squib
Stellar Newbie

Reply #9 - 10th Jun, 2005 at 6:34am

Another newish band is Wishing Tree. They have a female singer called Hannah Stobart, guitarist Steve Rothery from Marillion (plays keyboards as well) Pete Trewanas on bass, also from Marillion, and Paul the drummer from Enchant.

Wishing Tree have an album called Carnival Of Souls, and what a great album it is. Hannah's voice sounds like Maggie Reilly, who used to sing for Mike Oldfield.

This has a folky feel to it. Hey Dee, how about getting a copy and playing some.

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #10 - 10th Jun, 2005 at 7:28am

Quote:
Another newish band is Wishing Tree. They have a female singer called Hannah Stobart, guitarist Steve Rothery from Marillion (plays keyboards as well) Pete Trewanas on bass, also from Marillion, and Paul the drummer from Enchant.

Wishing Tree have an album called Carnival Of Souls, and what a great album it is. Hannah's voice sounds like Maggie Reilly, who used to sing for Mike Oldfield.

This has a folky feel to it. Hey Dee, how about getting a copy and playing some.

Not heard of this CS - thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to order 'Carnival Of Souls' soon. Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

NegativeTrend
Astral Traveller

Stoned Immaculate

USA, Chattanooga, TN
Reply #11 - 17th Jul, 2005 at 7:14pm

Uzva is a good newish prog band, all instrumental as well! Kind of sounds like Soft Machine (this was intentional as well, they have a three part song called Soft Machine on thier 2002 album). Great band and worth the listen. And that about as far as my knowledge goes into new bands. Smiley

Virtuality+Part1  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #12 - 18th Jul, 2005 at 2:24am

Quote:
Uzva is a good newish prog band, all instrumental as well! Kind of sounds like Soft Machine (this was intentional as well, they have a three part song called Soft Machine on thier 2002 album). Great band and worth the listen. And that about as far as my knowledge goes into new bands. Smiley

Thanks for the tip NT. Haven't heard of Uzva before, yet another addition to the 'CDs to buy' list ... Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #13 - 18th Jul, 2005 at 4:47pm

Quote:

I included several Wishing Tree tracks in the recent Marillion 24hr session.

IP Logged

NegativeTrend
Astral Traveller

Stoned Immaculate

USA, Chattanooga, TN
Reply #14 - 19th Jul, 2005 at 8:26pm

Quote:
Thanks for the tip NT. Haven't heard of Uzva before, yet another addition to the 'CDs to buy' list ... 8)

Tell me what you think of them when you do. Smiley

Virtuality+Part1  
IP Logged

trueblue
Stellar Newbie

Reply #15 - 10th Sep, 2005 at 2:40pm

I think the Syn will do wonders for prog music revival.
They were prog pioneers in the 60s and now they're new recordings are fantastic.  Their website describes them as 'prog modernist', a term I really like.
Long Live Prog!

IP Logged

danrok
Stellar Moderator

Prog on...

GB
Reply #16 - 11th Sep, 2005 at 5:30am

Quote:
I think the Syn will do wonders for prog music revival.
They were prog pioneers in the 60s and now they're new recordings are fantastic.  Their website describes them as 'prog modernist', a term I really like.
Long Live Prog!

Best price I've seen, in UK, for Original Syn is here:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=cdartisttitle&searchstring=...

Compared to £15.99 at HMV.

I think it should be available in a few days...

WWW WWW danrok  
IP Logged

proghead2112
Stellar Newbie

Paducah Kentucky
Reply #17 - 14th Nov, 2006 at 10:20pm

Heres a band thats so new their not even out yet. They go by the name of "Port Mahadia". Their soon to be released cd "Echoes in Time" also features guest appearances by David ragsdale of Kansas and Hugh McDowell of Electric Light Orchestra. I'm producing this cd so I will leave it to others to decide its merits. Perhaps Stellar would like a copy??? It should be out around the first week or two of January. It has a lot of Dream Theater influence as well as Yes.

Its a small world, but i wouldn't want to paint it.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #18 - 16th Nov, 2006 at 9:33pm

proghead2112 wrote on 14th Nov, 2006 at 10:20pm:
Heres a band thats so new their not even out yet. They go by the name of "Port Mahadia". Their soon to be released cd "Echoes in Time" also features guest appearances by David ragsdale of Kansas and Hugh McDowell of Electric Light Orchestra. I'm producing this cd so I will leave it to others to decide its merits. Perhaps Stellar would like a copy??? It should be out around the first week or two of January. It has a lot of Dream Theater influence as well as Yes.

Sounds very interesting indeed proghead2112.

Feel free to PM me regarding forwarding a copy of the CD. Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Boatman
Stellar Newbie

uk
Reply #19 - 14th Mar, 2008 at 7:06pm

IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #20 - 14th Mar, 2008 at 7:11pm

Interesting long list Boatman!
Thx, Ill take a look later!

One Love

IP Logged

Boatman
Stellar Newbie

uk
Reply #21 - 14th Mar, 2008 at 7:25pm

ino_100 wrote on 14th Mar, 2008 at 7:11pm:
Interesting long list Boatman!
Thx, Ill take a look later!

Thanks, I hope you find something in the list that you like, thank goodness we have myspace and quality internet radio stations to help us all discover new prog bands. Smiley

Meanwhile IQ are still rockin'!

IQ
http://www.myspace.com/iquk
STATE OF MINE (live)

IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #22 - 14th Mar, 2008 at 7:27pm

And radio stations that have forums Wink

One Love

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #23 - 17th Mar, 2008 at 6:51pm

Thanks for the info., Boatman. Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

boradicus
Stellar Newbie

Reply #24 - 8th Aug, 2008 at 11:05pm

Hey Guys --- I was  curious if some one  or  more  of you well informed folks would be interested in Making a Prog Rock Band Survey for the Best Band (excluding the big 4) and for the best NEW prog rock band to help some of the rest of us discover some of the great unheard  talent out  there!

Anyone up for  it  ?

Thanks  !

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #25 - 8th Aug, 2008 at 11:14pm

boradicus wrote on 8th Aug, 2008 at 11:05pm:
Hey Guys --- I was  curious if some one  or  more  of you well informed folks would be interested in Making a Prog Rock Band Survey for the Best Band (excluding the big 4) and for the best NEW prog rock band to help some of the rest of us discover some of the great unheard  talent out  there!

Anyone up for  it  ?

Thanks  !

Feel free to start a poll, boradicus. Probably the best way to get the answer to your question - and if you start it in a new thread, people will be able to comment as they vote.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

JestersTear
Carpet Crawler

ohio, usa
Reply #26 - 28th Sep, 2008 at 9:21pm

Hi proggers--

Some "newer" prog music I'm digging is:

Unitopia--More than a Dream

Frost--Milliontown

Sunchild--the Gnomon

Fall of Echoes--Red Tree

A Chinese Firedrill--Circles

Demians--Building an Empire

Dave Kulju--Abstract Expression

Indukti--S.U.S.A.R.

Sense--Going Home

JT Smiley

The prog side of my brain is inherently euphoric.

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

turn on, tune in, comment
profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #27 - 30th Sep, 2008 at 4:15am

Interesting list! I don't think I'm familiar with any of this material! Thanks, JT!

"It's all about the prog"
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1