Star
Stellar Newbie

STAR

Jersey, Channel Islands
Covers of Classics
18th Oct, 2004 at 9:32am

Hi again

What does everyone think of the 'Scissor Sisters' version of 'Comfortably Numb'

My opinion?.....I hate it....I hate most covers as most the time they're done really bad...and then all the teenagers don't believe you that someone else went there first.  Yes....Scissor Sisters tried to make it sound kinda wierd...but they didn't encapsulate the feeling of the song....and you can't make out half the words

Anyway.......what does everyone else think of Comfortable Numb by SS......and what does everyone think of covers?.......are there any you like???

Love Star

~~Star~~
Star 313140940 Star_Jadzia  
IP Logged

danrok
Stellar Moderator

Prog on...

GB
Re: Covers of Classics
Reply #1 - 19th Oct, 2004 at 1:52am

I don't think I've heard their version or maybe I have, it does ring a bell.

Generally, I think that if the original is good then it is a bad idea for another band to cover/copy it.  I wouldn't want to listen to a cover of a Pink Floyd song when I can listen to the original.

WWW WWW danrok  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Covers of Classics
Reply #2 - 20th Oct, 2004 at 2:22am

I Have to say I quite like the SS cover of 'Comfortably Numb'. Unlike the usual, tired, pub-band 'note-for-almost-note' version of this fantastic song, they have really gone to town and overhauled the entire track into an almost Disco/ Bee Gees (vocal harmony) groove.

Funnily enough, I cheekily played said track on SA several weeks ago and people started switching-off in fairly large numbers !! So I may be in the minority here.

Have an excellent cover of the same song on the playlist at the moment - covered by non-other than Chris Squire, Billy Sherwood and Alan White of 'Yes' fame. Now that IS worth a listen ...

D.C.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged