Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

MArillion Convention 2007: Part One (Read 6,430 times)

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
MArillion Convention 2007: Part One
12th Feb, 2007 at 4:17pm

February 2 – 5 2007
Center Parcs, Port Zelande, Netherlands

Day 1
Friday 2nd February

Each previous convention, this is the fourth, has featured on the Friday night the performance of an album in its entirety (Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, Marbles), and this year was no different. Being the 10th anniversary of This Strange Engine it seemed appropriate for this album to be chosen.

Before the TSE performance though we were treated to some brand new music from the forthcoming album ‘Somewhere Else’. Hearing new songs in a live environment isn’t always the best thing but I have to say I heard nothing that I didn’t like. The catchiest number was definitely ‘Most Toys’ with the chorus of “He who dies with the most toys is still dead”. In the middle of “The Other Half’ the song changes pace and slows right down after an initial mid tempo groove which reminded me a little of Moles Club version of Splintering Heart (probably won’t sound anything like it on the album!), this change didn’t work very well and seemed a bit messy. This could be because of a lack of familiarity or just under rehearsed. I am sure on the album it will sound more together. The stand out track for me was ‘The Wound’. This sounds like quite an dark, broody piece in a similar vein to “Out of this World’. I am sure when I finally hear the album I will look back on these comparisons and wonder what I was talking about.

The excitement prior to Marillion coming on was almost tangible. If this had waned slightly with the new material then the first chords from Steve Rothery’s acoustic guitar announcing ‘Man of A Thousand Faces’ sent it through the roof. Everyone was clapping along and singing the words. And when the song finally came to an end the roar of applause from the crowd was deafening. I think the band were quite taken aback by reception. They were all grinning at us as we were them. After waiting for this weekend for what seems an age, the next hour and a half flew by. I was particularly looking forward to hearing the album version of ‘Memory of Water’. This would be the first time it had been played live and although some people give this song some stick, I think it was one of those songs that shows off Steve H’s voice the best (along with ’Brave’). And he didn’t disappoint. Accompanied by both Mark and Pete on keyboards, slightly higher and fuller in the overall mix than the album version, it was a wonderful moment. This is the sort of song they should have played at the Union Chapel.

Talking of songs that get stick from the fans, there aren’t many that come off worse than ‘Hope For The Future’. I have to admit though that I do have a soft spot for it. I don’t dislike it so much that I skip the song and it always makes me smile. It’s one of those songs that illustrate why I love this band: because they are prepared to try and do something different. It doesn’t always work (I still don’t get ‘House’) but they are prepared to take the risk.

The highlight of the evening, and possibly the whole weekend, was the performance of TSE itself. In particular Steve Rothery’s solo which, if we hadn’t have been standing up already would have got a standing ovation. The emotion this man wrings out of his guitar is jaw dropping. Over the years this song has had an extended jam added to it just prior to the ‘blue pain’ section, which I have never particularly enjoyed, thankfully they stuck to the script and left this out. However the phenomenal reception Rother’s solo received must have lasted several minutes and I noticed h smiling broadly as he waited patiently for the applause to subside, before taking the song on to its dramatic conclusion.

The band came back on played two of the new songs again… and then it was over. Cry

We headed off to the on-site pub absolutely buzzing from the show, only to discover that we had spent all our Euros on ‘drinks tokens’, which were of no use in the pub itself, so we went back to the chalet and drank a bottle of red wine instead. Smiley

Friday Set List

The Other Half
The Last Century for Man
Thankyou Whoever You Are
Most Toys
The Wound
Man of a Thousand Faces
One Fine Day
80 Days
Estonia
Memory of Water
An Accidental Man
Hope for the Future
This Strange Engine
-----------------------------
Most Toys
The Other Half

Cheers
David Cool

to be continued…

IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Re: MArillion Convention 2007: Part One
Reply #1 - 12th Feb, 2007 at 6:04pm

Oooooh, I am consumed with envy!

Wink

Can't wait to read more.

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #2 - 12th Feb, 2007 at 8:33pm

Thank you for this DJ Silver. Cool

When is Part II......and when is your next superb Session on SA??? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #3 - 12th Feb, 2007 at 9:10pm

Excellent write-up David. Smiley

I'm looking forward to reading part two already ... Sounds like an excellent weekend away !!

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged