Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Album Session - Hawkwind (Read 40,871 times)

Lithium
Legacy Stellar DJ

Rocklicious!!

Album Session - Hawkwind
13th Aug, 2006 at 1:30pm

As promised many moons ago now, we are bringing you the brand new Album Session series.

To kick the series off I will host a couple of sessions, with the first one starting on Friday.

This is where you the listener gets the chance to nominate an album of your choosing, obviously within the bounds of Prog Rock, and our man ProgMaster will give it a play schedule, much the same as the one listed below.

All we ask is that you write a small background piece on why you wanted this album played, what it means to you etc... does it have an significance or have a story attached?  You get the picture, not a critical review of the album as such, but just something that the listeners would find interesting.  Review the album if you like, but don't go too overboard...not required! Smiley

My choice for the first album will be..

Choose Your Masques
by
Hawkwind

Originally released in 1982, and being the very first Hawkwind album I bought at that time, this became the album that opened up my musical tastes to other things that were not Purple, Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy and so on....  This album grabbed all this traditional rock by the scruff of the neck, crammed it into a trans-dimensional spaceship, and blasted off on a journey that is uniquely Hawkwind.

I love this album even now.  24 years on it sounds as fresh and unique as it did then. Each track is so different from the last, but it all fits perfectly.

As always, if you listen to this session, have your favourite beer/wine/whatever to hand, turn off the phone, put the headphones on, turn up the volume and take that Hawkwind journey!!  You won't be disappointed!! Grin Shocked Grin

**Playlist Schedule**

Friday 18th August @ 9:00 pm (GMT)

Monday 21st August @ 3:00pm (GMT)

Wednesday 23rd August @ 8:00pm (GMT)

Thursday 24th August @ 3:00am (GMT)

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Album Session - Hawkwind
Reply #1 - 13th Aug, 2006 at 4:42pm

Looking good Lithium Smiley

Here's to next Friday people and to listening to a cracking album. Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #2 - 13th Aug, 2006 at 6:23pm

Superb news!

Lithium last session was fantastic. Also it will be good to hear some Hawkwind on SA.

Cool

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #3 - 14th Aug, 2006 at 9:30am

This is an album that I am not that familiar with. The last Hawkwind album I bought, apart from upgarding my vinyl Space Ritual to cd a couple of years ago, was Levitation (on blue vinyl!). Although I did see them on the Choose Your Masques tour at the hexagon in Reading (I think).

So I will definitely tune in to hear what I've been missing.

By the way, congratulations on choosing not exactly an obscure album, but certainly a less obvious one.

Cheers
David

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #4 - 14th Aug, 2006 at 10:11pm

Cheers Lithium - Looking forward to it! Smiley

-Hm

b-t-w . . .If we were to nominated an album - where would you like the thread to start ?

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

Lithium
Legacy Stellar DJ

Rocklicious!!

Reply #5 - 14th Aug, 2006 at 10:42pm

Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 14th Aug, 2006 at 10:11pm:
b-t-w . . .If we were to nominated an album - where would you like the thread to start ?

Good question HM!

I would say in this sub category we are in now, as it's part of Listener's Requests...maybe title the thread Album Request or something?  What do you think ProgMaster?   Cool

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 8:46pm

Lithium wrote on 14th Aug, 2006 at 10:42pm:
Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 14th Aug, 2006 at 10:11pm:

Good question HM!

I would say in this sub category we are in now, as it's part of Listener's Requests...maybe title the thread Album Request or something?  What do you think ProgMaster?   Cool

Sounds like a wise move - I'll have to create a thread ... Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #7 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 8:49pm

Not long to go now people. Smiley

Remember, use this handy link to convert GMT into your own time zone.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

fish_head
Sound Chaser

Reply #8 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 9:09pm

Good stuff DJ Lithium. Hawkwind are great.   Smiley

Not enough of them played here!!!! Wink

IP Logged

bostonba63
Life Seeker

New York
Reply #9 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 9:13pm

Shall sadly miss the DJ Lithium session featuring none other than the infamous Hawkwind, Cry

However, I hope to catch the next session and once a new thread is started for nominations by Dee,  I already have one to nominate and why it should be nominated, assuming I am allowed to do so.

Care to guess what it might be?

Regards,

Steven

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #10 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 10:17pm

I'll bite - what album might that be  bostonba63 ?

Grin

For myself, I'll be hard pressed to think of a favourite album of prog that has not already been heavilly represented on S.A.'s playlist Wink

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

bostonba63
Life Seeker

New York
Reply #11 - 17th Aug, 2006 at 11:27pm

Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 10:17pm:

Grin

For myself, I'll be hard pressed to think of a favourite album of prog that has not already been heavilly represented on S.A.'s playlist  Wink

Glad you were hungry.  

The album and I say album because that is the format I first experienced it in, is by the group Love and the title is Forever Changes.

Now pray tell, why would I choose this album, since it is likely not considered prog.  Well prog is a hard genre to define and I think that this album holds much of the majesty of prog, that some would associate with this genre and certainly some nearly 40 years later is still held in high regard by many.

Why is it a fav of mine.  Well like music for many, certain songs, albums, artists, take you back in time.  For me this album takes me back to a time when I was still a teenager and the joy of discoverying music, seemed almost to be neverending.  

I still remember the first time I listened to this album, it was a summer night and I was over an older friend's house and we were enjoying ourselves   Smiley.  The place was what you would describe as garden apartments and there were friends who would come and go from the adjacent buildings.  Well I wandered over to one of the friend's apartment and he was rather buzzed Smiley and decided to play me this album, knowing my hunger for music and we sat on the floor and listened.  He was quite proud he had found an album in his collection that I was not familiar with.

At that point, it became and still is one of my favorite albums.  It had everything that I loved in music, as we sat there, harmonies, orchestral accompaniement, thought provoking lyrics, dark and light contrasts throughout.  It was complex and then it was simple, it was soothing and then it was harsh.  It was like taking a trip and experiencing all the different terrains that the trip offered, without leaving your house.

Well eventually the album had to be turned over and well, I wandered back to the other friend's house and stayed a while longer, but I did not forget the album and shortly thereafter, the album was in my ever growing collection.

Although many years have passed since that night, whenever I hear a track from that album it takes my back to that rather warm summer evening when my mind, eyes and ears were opened once again Smiley, and I discovered something new and fresh that I could sink into and explore.  

Frank thanks for all the good times, and Mark thanks for deciding to play something you thought would expand my musical horizons.

For it surely did, as I write this nearly 30 years later.

Regards,

Steven

IP Logged

Lithium
Legacy Stellar DJ

Rocklicious!!

Reply #12 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 7:37am

bostonba63 wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 11:27pm:
Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 10:17pm:

Grin

For myself, I'll be hard pressed to think of a favourite album of prog that has not already been heavilly represented on S.A.'s playlist  Wink

Glad you were hungry.  

The album and I say album because that is the format I first experienced it in, is by the group Love and the title is Forever Changes.

Now pray tell, why would I choose this album, since it is likely not considered prog.  Well prog is a hard genre to define and I think that this album holds much of the majesty of prog, that some would associate with this genre and certainly some nearly 40 years later is still held in high regard by many.

Why is it a fav of mine.  Well like music for many, certain songs, albums, artists, take you back in time.  For me this album takes me back to a time when I was still a teenager and the joy of discoverying music, seemed almost to be neverending.  

I still remember the first time I listened to this album, it was a summer night and I was over an older friend's house and we were enjoying ourselves   Smiley.  The place was what you would describe as garden apartments and there were friends who would come and go from the adjacent buildings.  Well I wandered over to one of the friend's apartment and he was rather buzzed  Smileyand decided to play me this album, knowing my hunger for music and we sat on the floor and listened.  He was quite proud he had found an album in his collection that I was not familiar with.

At that point, it became and still is one of my favorite albums.  It had everything that I loved in music, as we sat there, harmonies, orchestral accompaniement, thought provoking lyrics, dark and light contrasts throughout.  It was complex and then it was simple, it was soothing and then it was harsh.  It was like taking a trip and experiencing all the different terrains that the trip offered, without leaving your house.

Well eventually the album had to be turned over and well, I wandered back to the other friend's house and stayed a while longer, but I did not forget the album and shortly thereafter, the album was in my ever growing collection.

Although many years have passed since that night, whenever I hear a track from that album it takes my back to that rather warm summer evening when my mind, eyes and ears were opened once again  Smiley, and I discovered something new and fresh that I could sink into and explore.  

Frank thanks for all the good times, and Mark thanks for deciding to play something you thought would expand my musical horizons.

For it surely did, as I write this nearly 30 years later.

I could almost see you slipping back into that scene from all those years ago bostonba Smiley

Interesting story and I'm sure we can get that album played for you no problem at all in the very near future.  I can't wait myself!! Cool

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #13 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 7:37pm

Not very long before Lithiums session.

Cool

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction