Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
The History of Stellar Attraction??? (Read 21,825 times)

GG
Astral Traveller

The History of Stellar Attraction???
25th Jul, 2005 at 10:04am

Hey ProgMaster!
What's your story man?
How did Stellar Attraction come to be?
I can't help but be curious, others too I'm sure.
Pardon my ignorance if you have already laid this out somewhere here,
but I looked and didn't see your intro.
If you prefer to be dark and mysterious and not tell, then so be it.
I respect your privacy.
Anyway,
KUDOS
to you sir!
Great station!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Landy
Stellar Newbie

"Be yourself, or live
the fantasy within"

Re:  The History of Stellar Attraction???
Reply #1 - 11th Sep, 2005 at 10:37am

Stellar Attraction Rocks!!

Great question..... Hey Prog Master, how about a brief bio of S.A on the portal page? Good idea... just a thought....

IP Logged

Amy
Starship Trooper

Noo Joisey, USA
Re:  The History of Stellar Attraction???yep
Reply #2 - 13th Sep, 2005 at 7:51am

Yes, I would like a history lesson, as well!
How did S.A. come to be, Dee?

And I'm diggin' these new features!
LONG LIVE YES!!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Am I carried away here? Wink

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #3 - 14th Sep, 2005 at 2:36am

I'm a bit snowed-under at the moment guys but I will be sure to reply to this thread when I have a moment ... Wink

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Landy
Stellar Newbie

"Be yourself, or live
the fantasy within"

Reply #4 - 27th May, 2006 at 3:15am

I am still waiting, ProgMaster

IP Logged

Bilbo42
Stellar Newbie

Nanaimo BC Canada, VanIsland
Reply #5 - 4th Jun, 2006 at 1:12am

Ok sure, me too, how did you get started, what does it take to put this on for us 24/7....are you prerecording some of this?

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 4th Jun, 2006 at 3:04am

Ok, here goes ...

Around February of 2004 I was bored one evening and began channel-hopping through the various internet radio stations out there and came across a few that I liked and bookmarked them. I had not long returned from living in South-East Asia (Thailand mostly) and had recently bought a second-hand Pentium II PC with dial-up access, having not owned a computer for a number of years.

Being an inquisitive kind of bloke and interested in all things computers, it wasn't long before I started reading through the ShoutCast 'Wanna be a broadcaster ?' documentation. As you've probably figured already, I'm a huge Progressive Rock fan and have been for as long as I can remember. I thought it would be fun to broadcast some music from my own collection. There weren't that many internet radio stations dedicated to Prog Rock and I found that there were some gaps in the artists covered. I subscribed to a broadband service and installed the ShoutCast server software on my P II and began streaming tunes from my WinAmp. I could have only supported half-a-dozen listeners or so from my own domestic line, but it was always full ...

The station became popular very quickly. I realised that it was a good idea to have a website to accompany the radio station, so I subscribed to one of the free servers out there. The other need was to have a proper, dedicated server as opposed to people literally tuning-in to my P II at home, connected to a domestic line with limited bandwidth. Remember - we're talking about upstream here as opposed to downstream. You've got an 8 MB connection ? Good for you. But that's a download speed of 8 MB not an upload speed. With internet radio, you're streaming (sending information out) so it's the upload speed that's all important. Most domestic carriers will only offer up to about 512 kbps maximum upload (well, they will in the U.K. and the Channel Islands anyway) - not a lot of people will be able to tune-in to that - about three listeners @ 128 kbps !!

So, the next move was to rent a server, with dedicated bandwidth for listeners to tune into. There are a large number of companies who deal in this - rent servers especially for internet radio. ShoutCast is the most popular 'type' of radio streaming software in the world today, without a doubt. This now meant that I could stream whatever music I wanted played on Stellar Attraction to my own, rented server with large upstream bandwidth and a dedicated, fixed IP address. And when somebody tuned-in, they actually tune-in to this rented server which is in effect relaying whatever I was playing to it.

If I remember correctly, the website was the next to have an overhaul. I bought the domain name www.stellar-attraction.com and started in earnest to design a website that would support the station properly. Providing news, links that listeners might find interesting and the like. There's actually an old webpage still on the server today if you would like to take a look as to how things were 'back in the day' - http://www.stellar-attraction.com/whats_new_archive.html

To make things more interactive, a forum was added. Again, always keen to be involved personally in what I’m doing, I chose YaBB as the forum software. It’s open-source and is constantly being developed by a bunch of developers out there. Shortly after, I moved server hosts - both for the website and the radio servers.

The Pentium II had long since been replaced by a powerful, custom-built PC I made myself. I bought the superb SAM broadcasting software which, in it’s most simplest form, ‘plays’ music to the rented ShoutCast servers which everyone tunes into. SAM really is a powerful piece of software. The music that you hear has, on the whole, been pre-defined by me in the form of a ‘playlist’. There are simply loads of these on file and believe me when I say they’re not as simple as you might imagine to compile … I listen to music over and over again, add tracks, take tracks away, listen to it again and so on until I have anything from twenty four to forty eight hours worth of what I believe to be the finest music.

Having moved home (to where I am today) I became increasingly frustrated with streaming to my rented servers over a domestic, broadband connection. ‘Drops’ occur from time-to-time, so whatever I’m relaying to the servers will suddenly stop. This is somewhat understandable and for the most part is unnoticeable for most home users if you're simply browsing the web, downloading or whatever. But if you’re trying to run a radio station, just a few hours of ‘down time’ can be extremely frustrating. I for one knew, if I was listening to a radio station on the internet and it started to buffer (skips in the music) or cut-out altogether, I wouldn’t be that impressed and would probably give the station a miss … After suffering major downtime at the start of this year (due to the archaic wiring where I now live) I arranged a meeting with the local telecoms company, explained what I was doing and discussed what the best solution would be. Today, this custom built PC, running SAM (the broadcast software) is connected to the internet via a dedicated business line and if I do say so myself, is wonderful !! The stream very rarely breaks, there is little interruption when tuning-in and the quality is second-to-none.

... continued ...

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #7 - 4th Jun, 2006 at 3:06am

So, in conclusion, S.A. started off as a bit of a casual hobby, running off of a second-hand Pentium II in my bedroom - to what it is today. An internet radio station which is regularly listed in the top ShoutCast staions worldwide, a website that attracts an average of over 250,000 hits a month, a dedicated, private server hosting the website and discussion forum, two dedicated ShoutCast servers with a huge amount of bandwidth, a custom built PC running industry-standard broadcasting software over a dedicated business line … and of course taking-up an unhealthy amount of my spare time and money.

But I love doing it. Wink

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

GFTO77
Life Seeker

Bring on the Prog

Reply #8 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 6:41pm

Thanks for the stroy Dee!!!

V cool. Smiley

Stellar Attraction rocks like no other Radio Station...

IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Reply #9 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 7:24pm

I thought you did it for the vast amounts of cash and large-breasted women??...

IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Reply #10 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 7:27pm

ProgMaster wrote on 4th Jun, 2006 at 3:04am:
There's actually an old webpage still on the server today if you would like to take a look as to how things were 'back in the day' - http://www.stellar-attraction.com/whats_new_archive.html

I forgot about those dragons ... I liked them ...

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #11 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 7:48pm

Smiley
Thanks for the inside look Dee!
...And thanks also for your vision & letting us come along for the ride!!

It's been a great trip Smiley

-Hm

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #12 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 8:00pm

JaneEyre wrote on 5th Jun, 2006 at 7:24pm:

I wish - on both counts !! Wink

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Reply #13 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 8:02pm

ProgMaster wrote on 5th Jun, 2006 at 8:00pm:

I could help you with one thing...

Grin

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #14 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 8:02pm

Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 5th Jun, 2006 at 7:48pm:
Smiley
Thanks for the inside look Dee!
...And thanks also for your vision & letting us come along for the ride!!

It's been a great trip Smiley

-Hm

Thanks Don. The trip is only really just beginning ... Cool

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

danrok
Stellar Moderator

Prog on...

GB
Reply #15 - 5th Jun, 2006 at 11:35pm

JaneEyre wrote on 5th Jun, 2006 at 8:02pm:

I could help you with one thing...

Grin

Surely, you mean 2 things?

WWW WWW danrok  
IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Reply #16 - 6th Jun, 2006 at 12:24am

danrok wrote on 5th Jun, 2006 at 11:35pm:
Surely, you mean 2 things?  Grin

Maybe I meant the cash.

IP Logged

pno74
Stellar Patriot

Valjouze (France)
Reply #17 - 24th Nov, 2007 at 2:19pm

ProgMaster wrote on 4th Jun, 2006 at 3:06am:
So, in conclusion, S.A. started off as a bit of a casual hobby, running off of a second-hand Pentium II in my bedroom - to what it is today. An internet radio station which is regularly listed in the top ShoutCast staions worldwide, a website that attracts an average of over 250,000 hits a month, a dedicated, private server hosting the website and discussion forum, two dedicated ShoutCast servers with a huge amount of bandwidth, a custom built PC running industry-standard broadcasting software over a dedicated business line … and of course taking-up an unhealthy amount of my spare time and money.

But I love doing it. Wink

Thank Progmaster .     Smiley

What would life be without SA ??? Please donate to keep it up for years and years   Wink

IP Logged

Landy
Stellar Newbie

"Be yourself, or live
the fantasy within"

Reply #18 - 22nd Feb, 2008 at 4:02pm

And who is the naughty one, ProgMaster   Wink.....just kidding! Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1