gramophon
Stellar Newbie

I really love this site
and its program. :-)

Germany, Hannover
Long Vinyl Night
9th Jan, 2005 at 8:31pm

Dear friends,

besides loving the music on Stellar I am also a big lover of vinyls. Especially of common 7 inch singles. Actually the sound on these vinyls is the most original sound with the most power you can get.
Mastering vinyls was a real peace of artwork in those times. It defined how the sound of the music would sound on the radio.
Avtually if you compare an old Beatles single to any CD also LP you will find the tremendous difference.

If there are more lovers of this sort of listening, may I suggest a "Vinyl Night" where we share our vinyls. I got quite some vinyls that fit the style here at Stellar. Maybe there are more of us?
I myself would transfer the singles to CDs and send them to Stellar. Wave or MP3.
Of course condition of the vinyls should ok. Some scratches are no problem. But the sound should be fine and not be totally distorted.

Music I could support:
Jethro Tull, Yes, Peter Gabriel, ELO, Police, Moody Blues, Seal, ELP, Can, Manfred Mann and many more.
Of course I have a lot of more singles, from the mainstream Rock/Pop like Who, Stones etc.
(But I donīt know if that would fit Stellar.)

As there are so many vinly lovers around the world, this could also be a good point of making promo for Stellar on various media. If they want it Smiley

Please let me know, what you think about this.
I would gladly share a night of Progressive Vinyl Rock Smiley

All the best, Gregor

IP Logged

LonMelJr
Stellar Newbie

Re: Long Vinyl Night
Reply #1 - 10th Jan, 2005 at 12:42am

While I dont really have a vinyl-to-digital device or method of setting it up, I would like to share a couple of interesting sidenotes.  On the Growing Up tour, my brother was able to have Peter sign a vinyl of foxtrot.  However, the funny one is where he met Phil.  Of all the albums he could have had him sign (and we know there are many), my brother asked him to do a vinyl of the Lamb.  Phil gave him a very strange look - I'd say it took a lot of chuzpah.

IP Logged

gramophon
Stellar Newbie

I really love this site

Germany, Hannover
Reply #2 - 10th Jan, 2005 at 1:11am

Hi Buddy,

thanks for your reply.
I am explicitley thinking about singles. Less LPs.
And talking about Lamb lies down on Broadway, the CD sounds lot better than the vinyl, as most of the CDs of Genesis sound better than the original LPs.
The reason for that is that the works of Genesis usually extend to 30 minutes per side, which is definitely too long for a good sounding LP.

Thatīs why I am talking about the singles Smiley

Best, Gregor

IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #3 - 10th Jan, 2005 at 1:21am

The thing I miss the most with CD's as oppsed to vinyl is not so much the sound, but the album cover. I used to spend hours listening to the music and studying the album artwork, lyrics etc. A CD booklet just isn't the same. Occasionally a band will make an effort these days with their CD packaging but it doesn't compare to the wonders of the gatefold sleeve! Grin

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #4 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 10:46am

Something that I hadn't thought of ... sounds like it could be a good idea if it can be set in motion ...  Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #5 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 10:47am

Quote:
A CD booklet just isn't the same. Occasionally a band will make an effort these days with their CD packaging but it doesn't compare to the wonders of the gatefold sleeve

Definitely !!!  Grin

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Reply #6 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 6:28pm

Not that I wish to put down your idea, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but once you have gone to the effort of converting 7" vinyl into digital files and they are then played over the internet, are we really going to notice the difference through a crappy computer speaker? Listening to vinyl on a decent turntable and hi-fi set up is one thing but I'm not sure if we will appreciate the difference via an internet stream. Smiley

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #7 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 11:28pm

Quote:
are we really going to notice the difference through a crappy computer speaker?

Why don't you have your computer lined-out into your stereo ??

Fair point tho Silver ... not exactly sure what we're trying to acheive here ...  Roll Eyes

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

gramophon
Stellar Newbie

I really love this site

Germany, Hannover
Reply #8 - 13th Jan, 2005 at 7:44pm

Hi buddys,

seems I am the only one here enjoing Beatles and Stones from the original singles Smiley
Ok, even on the crappy PC speakers you will hear or feel some difference between a CD version and the original 7 inch. Although a nice speaker system or headphone is absolutely recommended.

I will just leave the topic open.  In case, send all your vinyls to me Smiley

Best, Gregor

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #9 - 14th Jan, 2005 at 2:23am

Quote:
crappy PC speakers

What is it with you guys and crappy speakers ?!  Shocked

If you can't find a long enough lead / it isn't convenient to line-in to your stereo for when you tune-in, there are some pretty decent PC speakers on the market these days at very reasonable prices ...

Gramophon -  I'm not totally ruling-out the possibility of a 'vinyl session' - it's really quite a unique idea. Just some more ideas regarding it would be useful.

D.C.

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged