Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Scheduled Maintenance - 24th - 25th September (Read 37,949 times)

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Re: Scheduled Maintenance - 24th - 25th September
Reply #15 - 30th Sep, 2011 at 11:23pm

All,

The MySQL server has been rebuilt and is running swimmingly. I'm now about half the way through re-building SAM from scratch.

I'll post a full report once the work is complete but I hope to have everything back to normal very soon - working through the night if necessary.

Thanks again for all of your patience.

Darran

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

pno74
Stellar Patriot

Valjouze (France)
Reply #16 - 2nd Oct, 2011 at 8:32pm

Smiley

Its up again  Smiley

Thanks Dee Smiley

What would life be without SA ??? Please donate to keep it up for years and years   Wink

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #17 - 2nd Oct, 2011 at 9:30pm

Thanks Patrice. Smiley

I shall post a full update a little later on.

Oh, the nightmare ... Cry

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #18 - 2nd Oct, 2011 at 10:53pm

All,

As already posted, around the time of the annual maintenance that I performed last weekend there were two island-wide power cuts. The first lasting just under an hour and the second for around ten minutes. I'm certain that if these had occurred during the course of regular operations, it would have been no more than an inconvenience and I would have simply re-started things once power had been restored. As both of these power outages occurred during critical installations and updates to core applications, both SAM and the local SQL server were affected very seriously.

I initially tried to manually restore the failed installations and updates on both occasions but as the 'damage' involved (amongst other things) corrupt Windows registries to both machines, both machines were in a serious state of non-operation. If this had occurred on my own, personal PC I would have been less concerned but as SAM and the SQL server have to be running 24/7/365, it is essential that both are as stable as possible and won't be in a precarious situation which would lead to faults, crashes and so on at some point in the future.

So, on Thursday of last week I took the decision to completely re-format and install everything 'from scratch' on both machines. Due to the obvious precarious situation both machines were in and not being confident that even if I were to have both of them up-and-running again, they would not be online for very long and would no doubt be prone to instability.

Having worked constantly Thursday and Friday evening, I had both SAM and the SQL server back to a 'fresh state' and ready to run again. It was during the last stages of this fresh install that I noticed some instability on SAM. This was mostly due to a constantly failing connection - both to the local SQL server and to the internet itself. After a lot of investigation, it transpired that the Norton anti-virus software that I was using had become all but obsolete. Although still receiving regular updates to both the firewall and virus definitions it had trouble working well with both Windows XP service pack 3 (although there was an online fix for this on the Norton website) and the .NET framework which was installed.

Frantically searching online for solutions to both of these apparent (and potentially fatal situations, the longer SAM was left running in this state), I kept coming across the same answer - basically, time to upgrade both the firewall and anti-virus software running on SAM - something that I wasn't planning to do both money-wise and as a new software installation.

Anyway, I finally decided on the very latest version of Norton Internet Security and dutifully purchased a copy from their official website. Having bought software online numerous times in the past, I was (I hope understandably) very surprised to receive an e-mail from Norton, not containing a download link or license key but stating that their ordering system was currently offline and wouldn't be available for another four to eight hours. So, I took this window of time to get some much needed sleep and would continue the next day.

Frustration was heightened even more (bear in mind that the station had now been offline for several days) when I checked my e-mail account to discover that I hadn't received anything whatsoever from Norton. I signed-into my online account area which was also empty of any content - download links for the new version I had just bought etc. I checked my credit card balance online and sure enough, they had taken the money from my account, so I gave their 'help desk' a call. Having tried several times before receiving an answer, I was told that their ordering system was experiencing 'issues' and these would be resolved shortly. Not exactly news to me (I knew this already) and I pressed from an ETA as to when this would be - 'as soon as possible', was the answer.

Anyway, it wasn't until today (Sunday) that I finally received a response from Norton and installed this new software package. Once this was complete, I was finally in a position to put S.A. back online again.

Hopefully you'll all appreciate, this was a far from an ideal situation - two unexpected total power outages, corrupt servers, incompatible Internet Security software and a ridiculously long delay in processing an order for a new version. Anyway, things are back to normal and apologies once more for the downtime.

Enjoy.

Darran

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

fish_head
Sound Chaser

Reply #19 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 12:36am

Thx for the work   Smiley   good to have SA Cool Cool back!!

IP Logged

Thomas S
Stellar Newbie

Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Reply #20 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 2:46am

Many Thanks for your ongoing dedication.  So glad the music is back and became the focus again...

tsommer2000  
IP Logged

zappa
Watcher Of The Skies

I am the central scrutinizer,and
always tuned in

Frankfurt Germany
Reply #21 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 5:32pm

great work, and thx for detailed information Smiley Smiley Smiley

information is not knowledge
knowledge is not wisdom
wisdome is not truth
truth is not beauty
beauty is not love
love is not music
music is the best
WWW WWW wolle.roth  
IP Logged

zappa
Watcher Of The Skies

always tuned in

Frankfurt Germany
Reply #22 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 8:38pm

is there anybody aout ther ???? Sad Smiley

knowledge is not wisdom
wisdome is not truth
truth is not beauty
beauty is not love
love is not music
music is the best
WWW WWW wolle.roth  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #23 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 9:49pm

Thanks for all of the comments, guys. Appreciated. Smiley

I have to confess to having had better weeks ... Cry

Anyway, all back to normal.

Darran

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

zappa
Watcher Of The Skies

always tuned in

Frankfurt Germany
Reply #24 - 3rd Oct, 2011 at 9:51pm

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

knowledge is not wisdom
wisdome is not truth
truth is not beauty
beauty is not love
love is not music
music is the best
WWW WWW wolle.roth  
IP Logged

Yes Phreak
Squonk

Manchester, England