Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Glass Hammer's IF a Yes clone? (Read 4,454 times)

JestersTear
Carpet Crawler

ohio, usa
Glass Hammer's IF a Yes clone?
21st Oct, 2010 at 12:43am

Anyone have an opinion on GH's new album IF?  The album is getting some criticism for sounding like a Yes album. The music and the vocals sound eerily like Yes and Jon Anderson.  After a dozen listens i forgot about all that and just dug it for what it is, a great symphonic prog album. I can't stop listening to last song, If the Sun, a 24 minute epic thats a great listen.

The prog side of my brain is inherently euphoric.

IP Logged

MickK
Stellar DJ

Wheres the bar ?

Sheffield, England
Re: Glass Hammer's IF a Yes clone?
Reply #1 - 21st Oct, 2010 at 2:19pm

JT I've been listening to the Glass Hammer album quite a lot over the last couple of weeks (it's a featured album on Fresh Prog in mid November). I agree with you the new lead singer Jon Davison sounds amazingly like Jon Anderson and that is the first thing you notice and it tends to distract you from the actual songs. However, as you say, after a few listens you tend to forget about that and appreciate a really fine sympo prog album.

Expanding the subject a bit, I not sure that I like these sound alike lead singers, I don't know what anybody else thinks. K2 have this guy Josh Gleeson on their new album "Black Garden" who sounds very similar to Peter Gabriel. I personally wish singers would sound like themselves instead on cloning the sound of Anderson or Gabriel or anybody else for that mattter.

Anyway you'll be able to judge both the Glass Hammer and K2 albums on Fresh Prog #4 which should be on the air in mid November if Darran has fixed the broken rubber band on my FTP folder by then.  Grin

WWW WWW live:mick_knapton http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged