Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Ozric Tentacles Seattle 30 May 2009 (Read 14,988 times)

David Z
Stellar Patriot

Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
Ozric Tentacles Seattle 30 May 2009
31st May, 2009 at 7:54pm

So I have some friends coming into town (the area of Seattle, WA, USA) in a couple of weeks, and in arranging the itinerary for them, they asked me to find a music club where we can go drink a good local micro-brew and listen to some music. Given that I've been consumed with, among other things, a marriage and raising a child for the last decade, I haven't had a whole lot of time to be in touch with the local music scene, so I turned yesterday to the local entertainment weekly (http://www.thestranger.com), and started looking.

One thing that immediately caught my eye was the fact that Ozric Tentacles, a band that I first learned about right here on SA only a few months ago, was scheduled to play that very evening in downtown Seattle. My initial thought was something like, "Hey, I like them... but ten pm? That's late!" But around 9:00pm, after having completed a full day of soccer, swimming, homework, etc, I remembered this again, and realized that this could very well be a unique opportunity, so I took it.

The opening band, a local band named Voyager One, was gracious and enjoyable, and then, way past my bedtime, Ozric Tentacles began.

Now, I don't know the names of the songs and therefore can't describe how the night progressed in any detail, but suffice it to say that the music was engaging and energizing and simply quite enjoyable. The sound was quite good for a club shaped the way this one was, and there was a good energy among my hundred or so fellow patrons. While it was many hours past my normal bed time, this all kept me going past 2am for a very enjoyable evening.

Thanks to D and this website for turning me on to OT!

Reaction level's much too high
I can do without the stimuli

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Re: Ozric Tentacles Seattle 30 May 2009
Reply #1 - 31st May, 2009 at 10:01pm

Thanks for this review David Z!

A cool story. Cool

IP Logged

Heracleum Mantegazziani
Stellar DJ

Latitude 33°N/Longitude 117°W
Reply #2 - 31st May, 2009 at 10:09pm

Very, very jealous David! My friend and I have been anxiously awaiting the mention of a show in S. Cali. but to no avail - your show and one in Oregon/SF are the only one's on the west coast I guess.*

Glad you had a good time!

-Don

* and Mexico City Wink

bottled in a strong confession, my distortion shows obsession

IP Logged

JestersTear
Carpet Crawler

ohio, usa
Reply #3 - 1st Jun, 2009 at 5:11pm

10 pm late. LOL.  Grin
i know the feeling myself!! 3 kids and a mortgage over 17 years now does that to an ex-all nighter.

how'd your friends like them? are they into prog or thought it was weird? i know how that can go. in college, i took some out of town friends to see Ambrosia (in they're prime) and they hated it!! it's true.

JT  Smiley

The prog side of my brain is inherently euphoric.

IP Logged

David Z
Stellar Patriot

Reply #4 - 1st Jun, 2009 at 5:54pm

HM: Their site shows that they played in S.F. a few days ago, but I too was indeed surprised to know that they didn't go to SoCal.

JT: The friends for whom I was checking for music will arrive next weekend. To the Ozric show I went alone, because, well, I didn't want to have to worry about my friends not liking it.  Smiley

- david z.

IP Logged

Ayreonaut
Stellar Newbie

Reply #5 - 1st Nov, 2010 at 12:00am

Funky  I just seen them in Uden the Netherlands  Cheesy ... Funky band love them just all, just all 'bad motions' going on a loose and only love and happeniss comes back ... including alcohol

sorry for bad ingrish  Wink

IP Logged

Macros the Black
Life Seeker

You shouldn't do that
!

Uden / N-br / The Netherlands
Reply #6 - 25th Apr, 2012 at 7:37pm

I noticed myself they are touring again and discoverd earlier this month that I am going to see them once more this sunday ... The day before queensday here , really nice looking forward to it ....  Smiley

Under Construction ....

www.ayreon.com ... A modern prog rock opera !

IP Logged

David Z
Stellar Patriot

Reply #7 - 25th Apr, 2012 at 8:08pm

Welcome back, Macros the Black!

I envy that you will attend an OT show. I've kept an eye on them, but they only toured the east coast of my country during recent months/weeks, 3,000 miles away. 

Smiley    Smiley    Smiley

IP Logged

Macros the Black
Life Seeker

You shouldn't do that
!

Reply #8 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 3:30pm

Indeed,

pretty cool they are playing once again in my hometown ... So I couldn't just miss them out , trough I did miss RPWL last week thanks of having no money a shame trough ....

But anyway Ozrics is way cooler than RPWL  Smiley

Under Construction ....

IP Logged

Macros the Black
Life Seeker

You shouldn't do that
!

Reply #9 - 30th Apr, 2012 at 1:04am

I love them they are awesome , shame only fifty people or so attend a shame ...

they are uber cool, god like ....  Smiley

Under Construction ....

IP Logged