Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Old Website Issue(s) (Read 10,359 times)

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Old Website Issue(s)
5th Jul, 2008 at 9:12pm

All,

Around the 10th of June, a number of upgrades to the old website server failed. Compounding this issue, the source scripts that are bundled with SAM and hosted on the website server (essentially enabling a lot of the 'currently playing' information that is displayed) were subject to a vulnerability. This brought the website server down and offline, sadly during DJ HM's excellent HM 5 session.

As the website server is physically unconnected to the broadcasting of the music, S.A. continued to stream without any issues whilst the website server was offline and the amount of listeners tuned-in on any given day remained high.

As I've mentioned in passing a number of times recently here on the forum, I have specking-out a new, more powerful website server to host the site and forum - as S.A. continues to increase in popularity and the functionality and information that is displayed on the website becomes more complex, so does the load on the website server itself. As such, S.A. had out-grown the website server platform that it was on.

Even though at the time of this crash I was already in the process of migrating to a new, far more powerful dedicated website server, the migration to this new server was greatly hindered by the extremely poor response times from both the old website server company and the Domain Name Registrar that the name www.stellar-attraction.com is managed by. This involved serveral daily phone calls and e-mails to these companies requesting that the old, offline website be discontinued and that the details of S.A.'s domain name be updated to 'point' to the new website server.

This proved to be an extremely frustrating experience for me personally, resulting in my contacting ICANN to advise them of this lack of response from the companies involved in order for me to control my own domain name. This left the S.A. website offline for far longer than necessary with the new, active website server online and ready-to-go but without the domain name pointing to it. It was only at this point that both companies eventually started to return phone calls (rather than simply continuously advising me that my issue had 'been escalated') and reply to my e-mails.

Needless to say, any relationship that I held with the companies involved has now been terminated.

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience of not having the S.A. website online for such an extended period of time and please rest assured that I worked constantly to resolve the numerous problems involved.

D

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

turn on, tune in, comment
profusely

Falls Church VA
Re: Old Website Issue(s)
Reply #1 - 6th Jul, 2008 at 9:00am

In recognition of all your hard work and difficulties I've ordered a t-shirt! Bonus, Cafe Press shipped it very soon after I placed the order.

"It's all about the prog"
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #2 - 6th Jul, 2008 at 4:54pm

Thanks Dan - appreciated !!

And of course, any small profit made on a sale gets ploughed straight back into the running costs of S.A. Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #3 - 7th Jul, 2008 at 12:05am

In case anyone hasn't yet checked it out, I must say the merch looks pretty awesome.  Cool The one I got is in the photo below--only $9.99, believe it or not, plus shipping, except that I paid a very reasonable additional $2.99 for a plus size...ok, a *very* plus size... Embarrassed 

http://www.cafepress.com/s_attraction.116473916

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #4 - 7th Jul, 2008 at 2:18pm

I now understand why you where saying "oooh the nightmare" in your e-mail....

You work hard for us Darran, and it is appreciated. We had the stream up and running meanwhile the forum was down, it compensated!

PS: Nice tee shirt indeed Dan_joy!

Max

One Love

IP Logged

Dan Joy
Watcher Of The Skies

profusely

Falls Church VA
Reply #5 - 11th Jul, 2008 at 4:36am

I'm now proudly wearing my star trooper t-shirt, which arrived today!!! yay!!!

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 11th Jul, 2008 at 7:56pm

Dan Joy wrote on 11th Jul, 2008 at 4:36am:
I'm now proudly wearing my star trooper t-shirt, which arrived today!!! yay!!!

Pleased to hear it Dan !! Cool

Enjoy.

D

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged