Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Marillion Convention 2007: Part Two (Read 6,799 times)

silver
Legacy Stellar DJ

At such speeds, things
fly

Sunny Weymouth
Marillion Convention 2007: Part Two
13th Feb, 2007 at 4:04pm

Day 2
Saturday 3rd February

On Saturday morning we took advantage of the bike hire offer (all weekend for the cost of one day) and went on an explore of the Centre Parcs site as well as venturing further a field  along the coast. Saw lots of people with binoculars and cameras whom we assumed were bird watching; we should have gone over and seen for ourselves as we found out later they were looking at seals! Doh! Oh well it was a cold but very sunny morning and we were out for a good couple of hours and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

After the morning exercise I didn’t feel too guilty eating and drinking the afternoon away. Smiley

Saturday Night Show

The support act for Saturday was a band called ‘A Days Work’. A young, modern, melodic rock band from Holland who had previously supported Marillion at some of their Dutch shows during the Marbles tour. Julie said that some bits reminded her of Linkin Park (without the rap) and I thought the singer reminded me in places of Brian Molko of Placebo, although with a far superior vocal range. Very catchy songs with just a sprinkling of a prog influence to keep the arrangements different. I found some of the melodies and choruses stuck in my head straight away. This was also a testament to the overall great sound quality throughout the weekend. Overall the band they reminded me most of are dredg. Really enjoyed this band and bought their album at the merchandise desk the next day.

The Saturday Marillion performance was billed as ‘Rarities & Covers’. The band dusted off some very rarely or if ever played songs and a selection of favourites by other artists. Potentially this night could have been a bit of a disaster. Depending on how obscure some of the covers turned out to be, this could mean listening to a lot of unfamiliar music; and rarely played songs are usually just that because they aren’t very good. As it turned out it was a great night. All I kept thinking was ‘please play The Bell in the Sea’. Which they did!

Probably the best cover of the night was that of ‘Toxic’ by Britney Spears Shocked. Just goes to show that there was a good song in there all this time trying to get out. Their interpretations of REM’s ‘Everybody Hurts’ and ‘Bedshaped’ by Keane were both excellent with some nice understated guitar from Rothers in the latter.

I must also mention the two ‘Swap The Band’ contestants who both were excellent. A German guy (sorry I forget his name) sang ‘Deserve’ and substituted the sax solo for a harmonica and Liz who sang ‘Sympathy’. She did look like the proverbial ‘rabbit caught in the headlights’ when she came on stage but as soon as she started singing, relaxed and pulled off a great performance. Well done both of you.

Then it all went a bit crazy. H dressed up in blonde wig, dress and make-up or a very funny rendition of Money Money Money., which was them followed by a storming if a little chaotic version of Hocus Pocus. Smiley

Saturday Set List

The Release
Accidents Will Happen [Elvis Costello]
Deserve*
Six Months in a Leaky Boat [Split Enz]
Holloway Girl
I Will Walk On Water
You Don't Need Anyone
Number One
She Goes On [Crowded House]
Sympathy* [Rare Bird]
Bedshaped [Keane]
These Chains
The Bell in the Sea
Built-in b@st@rd Radar
Good Morning [The Beatles]
Toxic [Britney Spears]
The King is Half-Undressed [Jellyfish]
Blackberry Way [The Move]
How Can it Hurt
-----------------------------
Everybody Hurts [REM]
Money Money Money [Abba]
Hocus Pocus [Focus]

*Swap The Band Contest Songs
[Cover Version Original Artist]

Cheers
David Cool

to be continued…

IP Logged

JaneEyre
Squonk

endearingly cantankerous

Re: Marillion Convention 2007: Part Two
Reply #1 - 13th Feb, 2007 at 4:54pm

silver wrote on 13th Feb, 2007 at 4:04pm:
Day 2
Saturday 3rd February

Their interpretations of REM’s ‘Everybody Hurts’ and ‘Bedshaped’ by Keane were both excellent with some nice understated guitar from Rothers in the latter.

I would love to hear those!

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #2 - 13th Feb, 2007 at 7:13pm

This just gets better !! 'Hocus Pocus' ? 'Britney Spears' ?? H in a wig ... ???

Here's looking to the next instalment !! Wink

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #3 - 13th Feb, 2007 at 7:57pm

Superb information DJ Silver.

Still I must ask. When is your next session on SA?

Cool

IP Logged