Oldrocker
Stellar Patriot

I am not a number, I am
a free man !!!

Stirling , Scotland
Royalties etc ?
22nd Jan, 2007 at 4:31pm

Hi,

I wondered if you got stung with having to pay royalties for the songs you play ?

Also, if somebody has a great track that they wanted you to have in your collection & then for you to play it "on air" - is this allowed or does it infringe copyright legislation ?

Cheers,

Jim

You're never too old to learn the drums !! Are you ??
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Re: Royalties etc ?
Reply #1 - 22nd Jan, 2007 at 5:52pm

Good question Oldrocker, I was wondering to...

One Love

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #2 - 22nd Jan, 2007 at 6:22pm

Hi there Jim,

I've been in discussion with the relative bodies that govern such things for over a year or so now. Internet Radio is an extremely new medium and as is the norm in such things, the legalities are far behind the technology*. Another 'review' of the current legalities is due very soon (or so I was told upon my last contact). Once the position becomes clearer, I will know myself.

In the meantime, a lot of the artists featured on S.A. are extremely happy that they are been given (any) airtime. And with over fifteen-odd-thousand stations on the ShoutCast platform alone (plus, very importantly, I don't make a penny from doing this) leaves us way down the list. After say, YouTube and the numerous file-sharing / swapping communities out there.

Incidently, legal dealings are run by jurisdiction above all else. Our American cousins are far better equipped to deal with such things and have several organisations that deal exclusively in licensing for Internet Radio Stations.

As and when things develop, I'll be sure to post.

D

*Did you know that up until very recently, it was illegal to copy a CD into mp3 format (or any other format, for that matter) in the UK ? You would need a 'dubbing license'. The law governing this dates back to 1911 ... Lips Sealed

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ino_100
Harold The Barrel

Namaste

Montréal, Québec
Reply #3 - 22nd Jan, 2007 at 6:38pm

Interesting to see that our avant-guarde Europeens cousins really have out-dated laws against internet brodcasting!
On thing is sure, let us know if something changes!

One Love

IP Logged

Oldrocker
Stellar Patriot

I am not a number, I am
a free man !!!

Stirling , Scotland
Reply #4 - 23rd Jan, 2007 at 8:58am

mmm ... interesting !

Blimey ! Didn't know that about MP3's !!

Sure looks like the law isn't keeping up with technology .... ah unless it's to do with catching people for speeding ... 'cos there's money in it for the "polis" and the government !!!
Of course, the real criminals seem to get off with a slapped wrist !!

Oh dear .. I've digressed somewhat !!

You're never too old to learn the drums !! Are you ??
IP Logged

Groovinpict
Stellar Newbie

In The Highlands Away
Reply #5 - 17th Apr, 2007 at 9:06pm

I read an article today about a lawsuit regarding the royalties payed by streaming broadcasters...It was not good for them. I don't know what it means for a station like SA. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing changes.

An open mind gathers more thoughts!! Cheesy

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #6 - 18th Apr, 2007 at 9:16am

Groovinpict wrote on 17th Apr, 2007 at 9:06pm:
I read an article today about a lawsuit regarding the royalties payed by streaming broadcasters...It was not good for them. I don't know what it means for a station like SA. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing changes.

An open mind gathers more thoughts!! Cheesy

Hi there Groovinpict,

I'm certain that you're refering to the recent movements across the pond regarding fees that Internet Radio Stations should pay. I'll post more when I return from holiday. In the meantime, have no fear, this does not affect S.A. in any way at all ...

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged