Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Click Here To Return To The Home Page

HomeHelpSearch Merchandise DonateContactEvent CalendarLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Album Session - Hawkwind (Read 40,876 times)

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Re: Album Session - Hawkwind
Reply #15 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 9:30pm

This song *Void City* is superb.

Fantastic choice for a album Lithium...........thank you!!!

Smiley

IP Logged

bostonba63
Life Seeker

New York
Reply #16 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 9:48pm

ProgMaster wrote on 18th Aug, 2006 at 9:07pm:
It has started people ...  Smiley

And it is rockin.

Regards,

Steven

IP Logged

bostonba63
Life Seeker

New York
Reply #17 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 9:49pm

Lithium wrote on 18th Aug, 2006 at 7:37am:
bostonba63 wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 11:27pm:
Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 10:17pm:
I'll bite - what album might that be  bostonba63 ?

Grin

For myself, I'll be hard pressed to think of a favourite album of prog that has not already been heavilly represented on S.A.'s playlist  Wink

Glad you were hungry.  

The album and I say album because that is the format I first experienced it in, is by the group Love and the title is Forever Changes.

Now pray tell, why would I choose this album, since it is likely not considered prog.  Well prog is a hard genre to define and I think that this album holds much of the majesty of prog, that some would associate with this genre and certainly some nearly 40 years later is still held in high regard by many.

Why is it a fav of mine.  Well like music for many, certain songs, albums, artists, take you back in time.  For me this album takes me back to a time when I was still a teenager and the joy of discoverying music, seemed almost to be neverending.  

I still remember the first time I listened to this album, it was a summer night and I was over an older friend's house and we were enjoying ourselves   Smiley.  The place was what you would describe as garden apartments and there were friends who would come and go from the adjacent buildings.  Well I wandered over to one of the friend's apartment and he was rather buzzed  Smileyand decided to play me this album, knowing my hunger for music and we sat on the floor and listened.  He was quite proud he had found an album in his collection that I was not familiar with.

At that point, it became and still is one of my favorite albums.  It had everything that I loved in music, as we sat there, harmonies, orchestral accompaniement, thought provoking lyrics, dark and light contrasts throughout.  It was complex and then it was simple, it was soothing and then it was harsh.  It was like taking a trip and experiencing all the different terrains that the trip offered, without leaving your house.

Well eventually the album had to be turned over and well, I wandered back to the other friend's house and stayed a while longer, but I did not forget the album and shortly thereafter, the album was in my ever growing collection.

Although many years have passed since that night, whenever I hear a track from that album it takes my back to that rather warm summer evening when my mind, eyes and ears were opened once again  Smiley, and I discovered something new and fresh that I could sink into and explore.  

Frank thanks for all the good times, and Mark thanks for deciding to play something you thought would expand my musical horizons.

For it surely did, as I write this nearly 30 years later.

I could almost see you slipping back into that scene from all those years ago bostonba  Smiley

Interesting story and I'm sure we can get that album played for you no problem at all in the very near future.  I can't wait myself!!    Cool

Lithium;

Thanks for the comment.

Hawkwind is killer.

Regards,

Steven

IP Logged

Lithium
Legacy Stellar DJ

Rocklicious!!

Reply #18 - 18th Aug, 2006 at 10:11pm

Well, I fully intended being online for my own sessions, but it's been one of those days Embarrassed

I blame the idiot who rammed into my car this afternoon. Undecided

Hope you all enjoyed the session.......

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #19 - 19th Aug, 2006 at 11:06pm

bostonba63 wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 11:27pm:
Heracleum Mantegazziani wrote on 17th Aug, 2006 at 10:17pm:
I'll bite - what album might that be  bostonba63 ?

Grin

For myself, I'll be hard pressed to think of a favourite album of prog that has not already been heavilly represented on S.A.'s playlist  Wink

Glad you were hungry.  

The album and I say album because that is the format I first experienced it in, is by the group Love and the title is Forever Changes.

Now pray tell, why would I choose this album, since it is likely not considered prog.  Well prog is a hard genre to define and I think that this album holds much of the majesty of prog, that some would associate with this genre and certainly some nearly 40 years later is still held in high regard by many.

Why is it a fav of mine.  Well like music for many, certain songs, albums, artists, take you back in time.  For me this album takes me back to a time when I was still a teenager and the joy of discoverying music, seemed almost to be neverending.  

I still remember the first time I listened to this album, it was a summer night and I was over an older friend's house and we were enjoying ourselves   Smiley.  The place was what you would describe as garden apartments and there were friends who would come and go from the adjacent buildings.  Well I wandered over to one of the friend's apartment and he was rather buzzed  Smileyand decided to play me this album, knowing my hunger for music and we sat on the floor and listened.  He was quite proud he had found an album in his collection that I was not familiar with.

At that point, it became and still is one of my favorite albums.  It had everything that I loved in music, as we sat there, harmonies, orchestral accompaniement, thought provoking lyrics, dark and light contrasts throughout.  It was complex and then it was simple, it was soothing and then it was harsh.  It was like taking a trip and experiencing all the different terrains that the trip offered, without leaving your house.

Well eventually the album had to be turned over and well, I wandered back to the other friend's house and stayed a while longer, but I did not forget the album and shortly thereafter, the album was in my ever growing collection.

Although many years have passed since that night, whenever I hear a track from that album it takes my back to that rather warm summer evening when my mind, eyes and ears were opened once again  Smiley, and I discovered something new and fresh that I could sink into and explore.  

Frank thanks for all the good times, and Mark thanks for deciding to play something you thought would expand my musical horizons.

For it surely did, as I write this nearly 30 years later.

Excellent post Steven. It sounds like a fantastic album and also a definite contender for a future 'Album in focus' session ... Cool

I'll arrange a thread for this shortly but a point to consider is it will mean adding even more CDs to the (already) extensive 'to buy' list ... Roll Eyes

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #20 - 19th Aug, 2006 at 11:08pm

Well, the first run of this particular session by Lithium has been a great success - plenty of listeners tuned in. Cool

Cheers mate. Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

GFTO77
Life Seeker

Bring on the Prog

Reply #21 - 19th Aug, 2006 at 11:38pm

Missed this on Friday........ Sad

Gonna catch the rerun on Weds though!!!Looking forward to it.Great choice!!!!

Smiley

Stellar Attraction rocks like no other Radio Station...

IP Logged

huntr_22
Watcher Of The Skies

France
Reply #22 - 22nd Aug, 2006 at 11:43pm

Yes,I will also be listening to this session again on Wednesday evening.

Superb album DJ Lithium!!!! Smiley

Cool

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #23 - 23rd Aug, 2006 at 8:08pm

Re-run has just started people ...

Smiley

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

GFTO77
Life Seeker

Bring on the Prog

Reply #24 - 24th Aug, 2006 at 11:50pm

Just wanna say "cheers" to DJ LITHIUM for putting on this session.I caught it on Weds evening....cracking stuff man thanks!! Smiley

Smiley

Stellar Attraction rocks like no other Radio Station...

IP Logged

ProgMaster
Stellar Owner

Stellar Attraction

British Isles
Reply #25 - 27th Aug, 2006 at 8:28pm

GFTO77 wrote on 24th Aug, 2006 at 11:50pm:
Just wanna say "cheers" to DJ LITHIUM for putting on this session.I caught it on Weds evening....cracking stuff man thanks!!Smiley

Smiley

I also want to convey my thanks to DJ Lithium for compiling this session. I know he had to go to some trouble in obtaining this album on CD ... Cool

Thanks again, another great success !!

Smiley

Dee

WWW WWW 5444228463  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2